grommit

UK to USA power converter using a Power Mallet

Hello all,

I think my power converter is a 'Dud' device, but not sure, I'm in the UK.

I used the power mallet for about 45 minutes and suddenly stopped working.

I looked at the converter and it was really hot.

What I know about electrics you can write it on a small postage stamp, and my brain is not what is was lol.

I am hoping that the converter is just faulty and I need to contact where I bought it and get my money back.

I have bought a more expensive one, can operate devises up to 300W, would this help.

please help! just to ease my mind.

I hope theres no damaged to the PM motor.

I appreciate you comments.

ATB

Brian 

IMG_1001.JPG

IMG_1001.thumb.JPG.7a9009047a3d26d32e93b

Ohhhhh! forgot to include the PM motor specs.

ATB

Bri

IMG_1002.JPG

IMG_1002.thumb.JPG.bb78df4446cd0adfb676a

Your motor label says it is DC, that's direct current.  Unless it is a universal series wound motor, it won't run properly on AC, alternating current.  Your power converter/supply needs to match voltage and type of current.  It also needs to exceed the power or wattage demand of the motor so it won't be overloaded.  1 horsepower = 746 watts, so 1/10 HP = 74.6 watts.  Your converter should be 230 VAC input, 125 VDC output, capable of supplying 100 watts, allows some margin so is not running fully loaded.

Tom

See next post.

Edited by northmount

Further note to above:

Since this was supplied for USA use, it must be a universal motor so can run on AC or DC.  And it was apparently running for you.  125 VDC is very unusual, and more dangerous than AC.  Coming into contact with DC draws you in, cannot let go.  AC tends to bounce or throw you off.  

Your 300 watt converter should work just fine.

Tom

Hello Tom,

my friend is an electrician, and I still didn't understand any of it!! lol

sorry!PM is Power Mallet.         

ive bought 300W a UK to US Stepdown Voltage Converter / Transformer 240v to 110v USA..so hoping this will work.

once again thank Tom.

ATB

~brian 

Edited by grommit

Hello all,

im really upset now!!!

bought a new power converter....now no power at all with the whole set up!!

im baffled now!!! All can think did buy the right power converter!! Surely the green light should light!!! Let alone power the set up!!!

ill go onto the PC and get pictures of the power converter...but I don't have a multi metre etc..not that I can use one!!!

atb 

bri

Look for a switch on the power converter.  Check its manual.  Check for a fuse.  Check there is power at your plugin.  Try another plugin.

Then get your electrician friend to come over if it still doesn't work.

Tom

Hello Tom

as you can see at the picture the power converter is switch on...)(red on an off

like on the pic that connected to the hand control, that switches in on and off..surely the green light should illuminate ?

IMG_1030.JPG

IMG_1030.thumb.JPG.01f4da8cf46d83638abae

the power should come from the power converter-foot control-hand control-motor.

I was able to plug the foot control with the power converter.

then the hand control (see pic) then the full set up.

still doing my head in.cant see any fuses at all. 

for a over a thousand dollars it want to cook my meals let alone work!

if I don't get satisfaction ill have return it and lose money on customs and shipping etc.

ATB

Brian

Okiee Dokie,

The green light isn't on because you have the Foredom variable control in the OFF position, it only comes on when in the START or greater position.  This is how you vary the RPMs.  Also with setup, you cannot use a foot pedal to vary speed, plug the motor directly into the Foredom variable speed control.  If you have an on/off (but not variable speed) foot pedal, you can put that between the converter and the Foredom variable speed control and vary your speed with the knob on the variable speed control.  Remember speed control and variable foot pedal will give you problems.

Art

Hello Art,

for some reason I can't upload a picture ..it was the full set up with the foredom switched on...

exactly how it should be set up!!

this is as you know the second power converter I've bought...so now I'm going to email maplin and send the the power mallets spec to see if can be run...

my only option aswell is get an electrician out to check the whole set up before I email the seller for an refund.

a expensive toy so far £1,010..and 45 minutes play time..

ATB 

bri 

Hello there,

My power convertor model RP90X over heated after 45 minutes.
Now ive bought a model VR05 300w UK/US step down transformer.
but the power mallet does not work.
the motor is a LX L150032 model.
1.0amps DC
125 Volts DC
1/10HP
5,000 max RPM

with a FOREDOM EMX-1 DIAL SPEED CONTROLER
115 Volt 4 amps 60 HZ code 0815.

FOREDOM FCT-1 FOOT SPEED CONTROL
120Volts 4 amps 60HZ code 1115

now just need an electrician close by.
ATB
Bri

IMG_1032.JPG

IMG_1032.thumb.JPG.78867e1522aff75fe512f

Well, here what is on the Foredom Website:

Foredoms permanent magnet motors require the use of a TXR-1, SXR-1, or EMX-1 speed control. Damage will result if the motor is connected to any other speed control. 

C.TXR-1 Speed Control Description:  
This foot operated speed control is made of heavy duty plastic with durable solid state electronics. The ergonomics allow precise and reliable speed control with your foot. For use with 115 Volt M.TX, M.TXB, M.TXH, M.LX, M.LXB, M.LXH and M.LXBH motors. 
It is interchangeable with Foredom's C.SXR-1 and C.EMX-1 controls. 7" long, 4-12" wide, 2-38" high, ship wt 2 lbs./1 kg. 

I have some experience with these tools (Foredom).  The LX motors are DC.  The SXR-1 and EMX-1 have rectifiers in them that change the AC from the mains to DC.  You can use one or the other speed control, but not both.  The FCT-1 foot control that you have is for use with an AC motor, and that isn't what you have.  The method of varying the speed in the FCT-1 is totally different than the SXR or EMS controls.  Hopefully the fuse in the EMX-1 blew before you cooked the board as I expect you had a good deal of current going there.  Check the fuse and get that damned foot pedal (FCT-1) out of the equation.  Hopefully you didn't toast the motor in the LX or the board in the EMX.

Art

Thank Art,

im baffled!! Are you saying what I bought is not the set up I need to run the power Mallet?? Especially in the U.K. Via a power convertor? As suggested by the maker/seller...

this is getting bad!! All I've done is acted with the right direction..ie get a power converter..and it has failed!! Now I'm out of pocket again...only 45 minute play time...

I will check the foot controller as u said for a fuse...

At the end of the day!! I'm got my consumer right and can get a refund...haven't I???

a lot of money has passed hand and the item does not work.

im upset and frustrated...awaiting emails from the seller for help as we speak!! 

Atb

bri 

Edited by grommit
Spelling mistake

Hi Brian,

The fuse on the speed control is between the cords.  Maybe you can get Foredom to take it back as a DOA.  Trade for this or something similar.

Art

Sorry for chiming in and sounding like a smart ass now but I had that issue for quite some time as well. Grommit your issue isn't the voltage it's the frequency. Your converter must convert both and you will need pretty strong unit like this https://www.conrad.de/de/voltcraft-at-400-nv-vorschalt-transformator-spannungswandler-115125230240-vac-230240115125-vac-400-w-511360.html

Whatever is chip-controlled needs a frequency converter as it relies on the frequency for any calculation, be it speed or time...

On that page I linked is an English manual at the bottom of that page.

Hello thor 

its really frustrating now! 

As I said I've done everything from the seller...one power converter that fried!! Now another stronger controller. But the kit has no power at all.

looking at the replies I gather that there is a wrong foot controller that should be with the LX motor, is that right?

if so that I have ask the seller.

like Art said, I hope the motor and the hand control is not fried!! 

Then my options is try to get my refund.

thanks again

bri 

More than welcome. I know what you're going through. Happened to us as well when we moved from Germany to Canada and years later back to Germany. Took me years to figure all of that out and general electricians weren't of any help at all. Fortunately my uncle is an electrical engineer and was able to tell me what I needed.

I'm not an electrician at all, but will try to explain what this setup looks like to me.

While AC is the most reliable way/source of current some setups require DC. This being the reason why a AC/DC converter is usually installed within the machine if needed. However, if any part of your setup requires DC there will have to be a converter of some kind or you are running at risk damaging your system. Here's a very basic and simple yet understandable explanation http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-AC-to-DC

thank you very much Thor.

I cant understand what's went wrong? is it the wrong foot controller for the LX like Art suggest, that eventually fried the item? FCT-1 being to run AC motor, not the LX DC motor

That says to me that the TXR-1 control SHOULD sent not the FCT-1 controller as from the Foredom site?

Maplin Emailed me and can confirm the 300W power step down converter will the power mallet,however I only sent them the spec of the LX motor and not the individual items EMX-1 & FCT-1 .

just trying to pin point in short the problem, without getting info overload.

ATB

Bri

Found the fuse for the EMX-1 and a spare..all ok! 

But no one in th FCT-1.

been looking closely in the Foredom site...

yes im thinking that the wrong foot control is sent!!! Especially they can't use any other control, only one..

it state clearly on the site what controls can use with the LX motor!!

i just don't understand the logic of the seller!!! 

ATB 

brian 

Brian,

Even if it was the correct foot control, you CANNOT use the EMX-1 and ANY foot control together other than the FCGX On/Off Foot Switch which is just a switch (press down power on, let up power off).

Art

At least he helping..being good about it!!

ellimitaion or what ever the word is lol.

asked to put the EMX-1 into the power convertor then to the motor!! Already try this yesterday..

sent pictures to him and a one of my power converter as he reckons it could be the power converter that doesn't work!!! Red light on switched on..btw told him Maplin emailed me and confirms the 300W step down conferter will run the Power Mallet 

now stage 2 of ellimitaion!!! What next...lol

im not going back to the hospital from stress I tell you..too much hard earn cash been spent so far..

atb 

bri 

Hello all,

for all the seller is good about sending the kit back and paying for the shipping then refunding me later.

but I just get the whole problem! 

Maplin made me angry as sent an email an stated my kit spec complete, they said yes it work (the 300w converter!

if person knew anything about electrics they'd spot the 60Hz needed to run the kit..but they've made me buy another 50hz converter... 

They reckonise the problem, and at the same time "we've got a 60hz model in stock...£145!!! No shame! 

Somewhere lyes the problem...the seller is used to sell in USA not U.K and its ELECTIC set up!

saying just buy a power converter is a bit lame tbh! 

I'm  totaly to blame! if I'd know about the implications  of electrics  I could of done it proplery 

my friend is going to take me through checking with a multimeter via Skype etc..bought a cheap one it'll read what I want see.

If all it give a reading from the the power converter I'll be happy! At least I can say I've check the kit.

the seller is happy for me to hold on for the moment.

gives me time to get an definate answer from Foredom about the problem etc.

Atb 

bri