dgkfit

Work Platform Idea

hello all,

thank you all for your help with sewing machine advice.  it has been very helpful.  i would like to give back some advice.  i find the "work platforms" that come with all the 441 clones inadequate, to say the least.  they are too small, and i suspect they are not very capable of being leaned or worked on.  so, below see my foto of the work platform i made for less than $40.   it consists of a 2' x 4' x 3/4" "lodgepole pine" panel from lowes.  it has a 4" hole that begins the cutout.  the hole is drilled with a 4" hole saw from harbor freight.  the top of the hole is 26" from the edge for a 16" long arm machine, and i suppose it would be 19" from the edge for a 9" arm machine.  the side of the 4" hole is straight-sawn to a 7" x 7" square space for the machine arm.  so, the 4" hole slants until it reaches the spot 7" from the edge where i straight-sawed in 7".  i use what harbor freight calls a "compass saw" to connect the holes and straight saws with a power circular saw.  i use a 2x4 clamped to the board to make a straight edge.  underneath the 7" straight section that is the machine, see that i have a 6" long 2x4 standing straight up to space the 3/4" panel just right up to the sewing area.  these 2x4's are attached by screwing a pair of 4" wood screws thru the 2x4 and 1/2" into the 3/4" thick panel.  i also use liquid nails here.  the whole thing is finished with 3 coats of clear polyurethane.   if you have any questions about this idea, please reply.   it works great!  just have something to rest it on like the bookshelf i rest mine on.  you could make a stand also.  thank you all for your help!   dale

cobra-work-platform-PIX1000.jpg

cobra-work-platform-PIX1000.jpg.d0fbb789

i forgot to say that this work platform has enuff room at the front of it to change the bobbin without having to reach underneath it.  the round end of the cutout makes it easy to reach in and change.   just slide the platform forward until you have enuff room.    dale

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Nicely done. 

Regards, Eric 

A firm stable platform to work on is always the way to go. There seems to be a very slight height difference from your new bench to the sewing machine foot or is it just the angle of the photo of around 1/2" or so ?! I guess that is up to the user how much height or no height you would want there, very good.

Cheers

Allan

hello y'all,    here are some more fotos of the plaform with some measurements on it.  let me know how you would modify it.  but it works great for me.
  dale

workplatform-2-PIX1000.jpg

work-plalform-3-PIX1000.jpg

workplatform-2-PIX1000.jpg.050793f18b3c9

work-plalform-3-PIX1000.jpg.22e8af67cb57