Jess Jones

Do you think a Leather craft School in L.A. can be profitable?

Hi fellow Leather Crafters!

I live in Los Angeles and since this is a major fashion hub I am thinking of starting a leather craft school. I have a passion for teaching and obviously for leather craft, but was wondering if anyone has experience on whether this is profitable and feasible? I'm thinking that because of my location, I can do it but looking for feedback or experience from those have done this or are currently offering classes.

Thoughts?

My wife and I managed to escape from socal 12 years ago.  And leaving was probably the best decision I ever made, as far as quality of life!

But one thing you have to give the LA area is that there are enough people there to make it feasible to pursue just about any business venture you can dream up and have some level of success.  There are so many potential customers that your marketing is the key, not necessarily your idea.

I think that a leather craft school could do very well.  You can include ties to the garment industry but I wouldn't forget about gun leather, motor cycle gear and even horse tack.

Dan

On April 16, 2016 at 6:11 AM, dbusarow said:

My wife and I managed to escape from socal 12 years ago.  And leaving was probably the best decision I ever made, as far as quality of life!

But one thing you have to give the LA area is that there are enough people there to make it feasible to pursue just about any business venture you can dream up and have some level of success.  There are so many potential customers that your marketing is the key, not necessarily your idea.

I think that a leather craft school could do very well.  You can include ties to the garment industry but I wouldn't forget about gun leather, motor cycle gear and even horse tack.

Dan

Thanks Dan! I agree! We want to leave within next few years. This state is very anti-business! Thanks for the tips and I agree. I will post on what I decide. Thanks for taking the time to respond =)

Bea is very good indeed and has the kuddos that goes with being ex Hermes, however her courses are very expensive indeed so room for a competitor maybe!

Yes, she does great work!