bylinesupplyco

Cobra Class 4 problems

Hey y'all,

I have a Cobra class 4 that I was using a size #24 needle and 207 thread, and I recently switched over to #22 needle and 138 thread. Ever since I made the switch, I am getting shredded thread, skipped stitches, knotting, bad tension etc. I have re-threaded the machine, checked needle position, put in a new needle, etc. Very frustrating, and I am hoping theres not some timing issue or something big thats going to be costly to fix. Any suggestions appreciated!

Switch back to 207 and see if the shredding issues continue.  Then you know it was not switching threads that was the issue.  If the 207 shreds too, then you have some other problem that just coincided with changing threads.

If the problem goes away with 207 in the machine, then rethread with 138 and try a larger needle than the 22.  The needle chart is a guideline, and should not be considered the gospel.

You may need to adjust the primary and secondary tensioners for the new size thread.  I use 69 to 277 thread in my machine with very little adjustment, but it's a Cowboy, and all machines may not be created equal.  I did see a video where they said if you went two sizes smaller (e.g. 277 to 138) you should adjust the tension disks and the bobbin tension.  But if you went one size smaller, (277 to 207), you might not have to adjust.  Was your machine originally set up for 277 or did it come setup and tested with 207?

Check for burrs or subtle misthreading.  I accidentally had my thread wrapped around the tension spring on the guide just above the final needle hole and it f'd up some stitches.  Hard to spot.

I gotta ask; is the #22 needle you are using a 7x3 round point? I ask because leather point #22 are hard to find in system 794, or 7x4.

If you are using a round point system 7x3 in leather, it will grab, overheat and cut the thread. Instead, order a pack of system 794 #23 leather point needles. You will have much better results.

As an experiment try dropping the needle about 1mm (about 1/25th") in the holder and see if that helps.

One thing nobody ever mentions is that the 441 and clones also have a range of spacers to keep the correct spacing between scarf and shuttle. The 441 seems less susceptible to this than the ADLER but it can be an issue on small needles and threads