This is my third holster. It is my first attempt at a thumb break. The holster is 6-7 oz. lined/laminated with 4-5 oz. leather. Hand stitched with #207 bonded nylon (cashew color.) It's dyed with Fiebing's Professional Oil Dye (Light Brown), painted into background with a brush. I had a heck of a time with that thumb break! Now I know why a lot of people don't do them. The leather had to be skived down to fit the snap and stiffener, which is buried between the two layers. I skived down a small piece of leather to cover the back of the other part of the snap and protect the finish of the gun. I just didn't want to add the thickness of those plastic covers. It took me way to long, but it was a valuable learning process and is a gift for my dad, so I can justify spending so much time. Thanks to everyone on this forum for all of their help and tips.

It is made for a Springfield Loaded 1911, and when I first pulled it out of the holster, the front sight was scraping out leather, so I remolded it with a sight channel. Now it works great! Not quite the retention of my last holster, but with the thumb break, I figure it's not that much of an issue. It can hold the loaded gun upside down, but will fall out if I shake it too much. So, thank you to everyone for your advice and tips. If you have any suggestions for my next one, please do tell. I'm about to start on another thumb break holster for a Colt Delta Elite 10mm. I welcome the criticism and have a thick hide. Ha, ok...dad humor.  (I'm sure no one has ever said that one here before.)

In case you were wondering, here are the links to my last two. Like I said, I have learned a lot from everyone here.

rps20160503_094652_984.jpg

rps20160503_094816_399.jpg

rps20160503_094857_404.jpg

rps20160503_094929_924.jpg

rps20160503_094956_712.jpg

rps20160503_095109_695.jpg

rps20160503_212245_752.jpg

rps20160503_212411_949.jpg

rps20160503_095210_545.jpg

rps20160503_095130.jpg

rps20160503_095240_579.jpg

rps20160503_212323_365.jpg

Looks good from this end.  If you had made it for me, . . . I'd be proud to wear it.

But then again, . . . 1911's and leather were made for each other like apple pie and ice cream.

May God bless,

Dwight

Your dad will be proud to wear it I'm sure.  Lined holsters are pretty time consuming but they always look very nice.  The edges on this one looks pretty good too, nice work.

Stu

Thanks Dwight and Stu. Dwight, your tips and comments have helped me a ton. Thank you very much for your involvement on the forum. You are truly a blessing to all of us trying get a grip on this whole leather thing.

Very nice!

Looks good!  I really like how you sandwiched the thumb break stiffener between the leather.  Having the back of the snap (the one that would normally rub up against the side of the slide when snapped shut) covered by leather is a nice touch.  

Edited by dakotawolf