Flexo

Weird specks from wet forming

The veg tanned leather, about 2mm thick, formed these blue specks after being clamped and sitting for only about 4 hours. This is my first wet forming, and also I used untreated wood which was intended for construction. Any idea if that was the cause? Could mold form that quickly on the leather?

Thanks!

Flexo

wet formed2.jpg

They are a reaction between iron and the tannins in the leather.  Just like vinegaroon used to make vegtan leather black.

You can use oxalic acid or lemon juice to bleach it out.  

Cause is little specs, filings of iron on the surface of your wood or dropped on the leather.  Keep all filings etc. away from your leather working area.

Tom

Thanks! That's very interesting, I wonder how I got iron fillings on there but regardless now I know what I'm looking for. 

I used well water that has very high iron content and got the same thing. I use bottled water now.

Once I dyed it up, the spots didn't show up at all as you can see. It's a decent first attempt I thought, and I finally have a pouch that fits my phone.

95e1775a6cfa.jpg

If you keep having issues with the spots Weaver sells a product called Pro Carv Casing Concentrate that you put right in the water before you wet your leather.  It will eliminate those specks from what we have seen.  Whether they are caused by something in or on the leather or the water.  We have had some people still get the spots even using distilled water.  The Pro Carv has always worked.  We also use it here daily.