MADMAX22

Good quality subtle leather for seats

Hey all been a long time since Ive been on the forums. Have not done leather work in a while because of the standard life issues. Somehow got rangled into doing a cafe racer seat for a buddy and that turned into doing a couple a month for his friend. 

I am using neoprene foam for the padding, still working on best way to do the pleats on the seats (they are the pleated top style). 

My issue is getting a good leather that is easy to form around the seats and that pleats well. The most recent one I actually cut strips of the foam and stitch between them makes a nice uniform pleat on top of the seat. 

I got a couple sides of W&C belting leather in 3oz but it is still pretty tough even when cased properly. I am looking more for something like chap sides in a way but good enough to last in a seat type application. That subtle hand of a chap hide seems to be what I am looking for but dont thing W&C or HO have that type of leather. I would like to use a decent quality leather, not necessarily gold plated wildabeast or anything but something that is both appealing to look at once finished and wears nicely. 

Thanks for any input into the subject. 

Just a friendly bump to see if anyone has any suggestions. I used some biker chap hide from SFL but its a little on the thick side. 

Has anyone used the WC english bridle that they will split down to 2oz? Curious how it is to work with when  split down to that thickness. 

Have you considered garment leather or upholstery leather?  What color are you going for?  You mentioned casing the leather but it doesn't sound like you are doing any tooling.  Here's some leather that I have been considering.

Waterhouse Leather

I'm a green beginner so I can't pass on any sage advice.  I'm must throwing out ideas.  Let us know what you come up with.

You said cafe racer seats. You will find high quality weatherproof leather out there that is not a problem. The problem is that a vinyl seat in my experience offers way better grip and wear. I did it once and first fast pull up I thought I was a gonna be a unich. I have refused to do them ever after. If you hate someone armor all his bike seat.

Sorry guess my question was a little confusing. 

Right now I am using chap hides (biker chap hides to be specific). Originally I tried some 2.5oz belting leather and it was just too hard to form around all the bends and what not. 

I am basically trying to find a good quality upholstery/seat leather. There are about a million options out there. I am looking for anyone who does seats that has experience with this type of leather and has any recommendations. 

I ride, and have always had leather seats without issue. I personally cant stand vinyl even with some of the benefits that can be had with it. 

Thanks for all the input guys, it is appreciate novice or experienced.