Sign in to follow this  
Jkiefer

wallet lining

So ive read a few different forums and I tried to make a wallet, i used 4oz veg tan cowhide for the outside, then 2oz cowhide for the interior of the wallet. It may be just me, but i think the wallet is way to thick and stiff. Does anyone have any recommendations on lining leather???

If you go with lining leather for your interiors then you will want to use one of the pigskin lining leathers that are available.  They are very thing yet very durable.  Regarding the stiffness that you are running into I would recommend that you use a bit of Pure Neatsfoot oil on the veg-tan elements to give it a bit of a flexible feel.  And, just for future knowledge, as the wallet is used more it will relax and become much less stiff, the stiffness is a typical trait but you have used the correct weights for your wallet.  Remember, you are making a wallet that is intended to last a very long time for the customer; if they want thin and flimsy then WalMart has a ton of those foreign made wastes of money.

That's true! I read about using pigskin, but what I read was its hard to work with?? Like the sewing process. I may pick some up and see if I like it. Can I carve on it if it's veg tan still or is it too thin to take the cut and impressions? I appreciate the info!!

There is one version that is a natural veg-tan leather which you can carve on but it is very thin so you can't get much depth out of the design and you also have to be very careful when stamping as you can go right through it real easy.  I make all of mine with 4/5 oz. for standard wallet backs or 3/4 oz. for my lightweight backs; I never go any thinner for the back as it is needs to be sturdy.  All of my interiors are drawn from 2/3 oz. cowhide but on a rare occasion I might use a veg-tan version of a Mission Grain pigskin.  I have never had any issues with sewing pigskin and I have been doing this for over 40 years; any issues that may be experienced are most likely due to not knowing the material or trying to make it do something that it isn't supposed.

Good luck.

Really? That's the same setup I made mine out of and it seems way too thick. But I sold it right away and didn't get to break it in or anything. Can you post some pics of what yours look like???

I will send some to you via PM so as not to create a cluttered page here if that is okay.