Tsarbomba

which items for saddle stitch?

Imbgoing to pick up some 8-10 oz hide. Want to saddle stitch a few personal holsters and im not sure which size thread and punch to get. I was thinking 4mm punch and .80mm wax poly thread. Although Im not sure what to buy or even the size. 

A 4mm punch (if measured tip to tip) should give about 6 stitches to the inch. I recommend 5-6 for general holsters and such so that size is fine.

Maine Thread is a waxed polyester twist thread. Their 0.040 size is good for 4-6 stitches per inch. Their 0.030 thread is good for 6-8 spi.

Braided waxed poly thread like Ritza 25 (aka Tiger Thread) would look good at 0.8mm or 1mm at 6 spi. There are cheaper alternatives like Twin Eagle thread, Soledi, and Flexzion, and most are about 1mm so they would be fine, too.

I did some test stitching with braided generics yesterday at that thickness/spi. I'll see if I can post a quick photo.

EDIT: here's a photo of some quick testing done at 6 spi using 1mm waxed poly braided thread, to give you an idea.

QuickIMG_20160608_130304.jpg

Edited by johnv474
Attached photo

On 03/06/2016 at 1:12 PM, Tsarbomba said:

Imbgoing to pick up some 8-10 oz hide. Want to saddle stitch a few personal holsters and im not sure which size thread and punch to get. I was thinking 4mm punch and .80mm wax poly thread. Although Im not sure what to buy or even the size. 

That'll be fine. I agree with the above but just to add...

chisels001_zps9unbgwmz.jpg

chisels002_zpsaq8ljdfd.jpg

..the middle row was done using a 4mm chisel, approx 6 stitches per inch, the left half with 0.8mm thread, the right half 1.0mm thread. Either is fine.

Edited by Martyn