I'm getting started in leathercraft and I'm running into a problem on how to finish my projects. I'm mainly doing day to day items like belts and wallets and trying find a "universal" finishing process for dyed and tooled leathers (probably part of my problem). I want a flexible and preferably waterproof finish, and after looking on here some it seems acrylic resolene is good but can stiffen the leather along with just the tooling process, so it should be softened/conditioned some with sort of oil but I can't find any solid answers there along with warnings of how it will darken leather.

If I'm not making any sense here's a summary of what I'm trying to get help with:

1. Find a waterproof finish that's good for dyed and tooled leathers (acrylic resolene seems to be a popular choice)

2. Acrylic resolene and tooling can stiffen leather so it's a good idea to oil/condition leather to restore some flexibility but there don't seem to be any clear winners there and oils will darken leather and some pictures of how much if anyone has any would be nice.

Ok, so for finishing you're looking at opposing issues.  Waterproof and flexible.  The only finishes that are water proof are lacquer type finishes.  They come in many forms including wood varnish.  They can be flexible to  a point and  I have used them with some success, but they look plasticy.  Bee Natural RTC is a great finish, but its water based and therefore not water proof.  Just resistant for a while.  You also have atom wax, and tan kote.  Not water proof but nicer looking.  Some folks combine the lacquer with one of the latter finishes to get the best of both worlds.

Ive been making things for a while now(a little over three years) and Ive learned that oiling isn't as necessary as many folks think.  If your making working gear for horses or people, oil is good since it will be subject to the elements.  Regular every day items can use a little oil to set the tooling but its not necessary.  Bob Park said this to me a few years ago and I have found it to be true for the most part.  The darkness depends on what kind of oil.  Neatsfoot compound gets the darkest but has a rich caramel color, pure neatsfoot is next and gives a golden color.  Olive oil is the lightest, depending on which brand and its color is what I would describe as honey colored.  However ALL of this varies on how much you apply and how much sunlight.  If you plan on coloring your pieces, the oil will affect your outcome unless you use acrylic paint.

Hope this helps.

I was afraid of something like that, I was looking for waterproofing because I sweat a lot and didn't want to mess up the coloring, and a little oil to avoid wrinkling the leather and finish.

I've used Fiebings Tan Kote then Clear Lac by LCI.

I guess you use veg tanned leather. 

With chrome tanned or mix tanned, I dont use any finish. I leave it as it is from tannery.