graywolf

"K" vs. "T" stands

Seems I have a choice. Cheap ones of course. A google search shows some that cost more than the sewing machine (Who would have guessed?).

What are the trade offs between the two?

I like both table styles depending on the machine. Singer made one of the most durable k tables I've ever seen. They are heavy duty, easy to adjust and the laminate near bullet proof. I have many still being used 40 hours a week since the 60's and 70's. Union Special made a really decent t stand every bit as sturdy as the singers. They are a bit harder to adjust. 

I have a lot of new machines that I ordered with the Kessler t stand. it's on wheels and uses a hand crank to adjust the height. We can raise them high enough for the operator to stand up and sew, which some prefer. 

My favorite is the t stand that GoreTex uses on their seam sealers. It has powered raise and lower and the machine tilts front and back. 

Regards, Eric

13 hours ago, gottaknow said:

I like both table styles depending on the machine. Singer made one of the most durable k tables I've ever seen. They are heavy duty, easy to adjust and the laminate near bullet proof. I have many still being used 40 hours a week since the 60's and 70's. Union Special made a really decent t stand every bit as sturdy as the singers. They are a bit harder to adjust. 

I have a lot of new machines that I ordered with the Kessler t stand. it's on wheels and uses a hand crank to adjust the height. We can raise them high enough for the operator to stand up and sew, which some prefer. 

My favorite is the t stand that GoreTex uses on their seam sealers. It has powered raise and lower and the machine tilts front and back. 

Regards, Eric

Sounds like those expensive ones I see on Google. I guess, reading between the lines, you are saying that both types work pretty well?

Yeah, both are fine. The cheap ones are ok for hobbyist use for sure, if they get wobbly you can reinforce them. Factory tables take a lot of abuse mainly from moving them around to accommodate style changes and get raised and lowered to accommodate operators of different heights. Most hobbyists or small business treat their tables a lot better than the chaos in a factory.

Regards, Eric

It has powered raise and lower and the machine tilts front and back.

A few degrees of "table tilt" ( except on oil sump machines ) and power lifting ( can also be done by foot operated hydraulics or "gas shocks" like those used in in office chairs, dentist's chairs, surgical /medical chairs and tables and architects tables ) is very very good for your back.

My computer chair ( the one in front of this particular computer ) is a fully reclining and posture adjustable by hydraulic ram ( swivels too ) that I "recovered" from our local analysis laboratory, they were throwing it out due to a tiny ( less than 1 cm ) wear patch on the seat, and replacing it with a new one, they were more than happy for me to take the "worn" one away at no charge..got the hydraulic ram assisted smaller seat that the doctor sits on at the side of you too..:)

They had bought the new ones as a set..

Both units can support , and lift/ lower way more weight than the usual spec for an office chair, I can fall asleep in the recliner it is so comfortable :)