Finishing up a adjustable Iwb for kimber micro raptor. Feel free to critique away, positive and negative feedback welcomed.

0626161946-1.jpg

Just a couple of questions:  

How does it secure to the belt??

What are you using to hold the pieces together??  One looks like it is riveted, . . . but the other has all open holes.

Just curious, . . . I have a Springfield Micro in .45 that I love, . . . just wish I could shoot it as good as I do my other 1911's.

May God bless,

Dwight

Well, it's been a while since I have even been able to get my hands on some leather, but, at the risk of irritating someone with my opinion I'll give a go at this. First off, I like the dinky .45s more than I should, but as Dwight says -- I wish I could make mine do what my old (worked on) Govt. mod does for me.

My first impression is that the rig looks 'rough'. I suggest that you look into selecting a bit better grade of leather to start     with.  A good quality of shoulder leather is perfect for holsters and that shaggy inside doesn't do much for the appearance of your work. Second, your molding needs to be a bit more  definite -  not so much that you could read the cartridge designation on the barrel, but more so to provide a higher degree of retention.  Next, in my opinion (maybe only mine) your stitching needs work. To me that stitch length is a bit short for a holster, ie. too many stitches per inch. I'd suggest no more than  6 SPI or maybe even 5. The stitches give the appearance of crowding and in turn they pucker. This can be from too much tension or irregular tension on each stitch BUT, you might have been able to help soften that appearance by use of an overstitch. That could even out the appearance quite a bit. Your edges also need work. A nice cut with an edger followed by a good edge burnishing would really help on the finished appearance. And finally  -- as Dwight asked,  How are you holding the thing together?

Now, I'm NOT telling you that your work stinks or anything of the sort. You have done a pretty damned decent piece of work BUT by paying attention to some of the details, your work could stand out. The opinions expressed herein (that is sort of legalese) are just from a grumpy old man that has put together a holster or two himself, so take from them what you will and know that there is only sincere criticism meant to assist included.   Mike

First off just wanna say I've seen some of the work both of you have done, very nice work. And have nothing but respect for you. Hopefully one day I'll get closer to your quality. 

Long story short this is a rough one, sister wants to start carrying on her and not in her purse. So got a lovely piece of high quality of leather from the handy tan store, big mistake it's been nothing but a pain to work with. Also got a couple tools there, again not impressed. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to things I do, this holster doesn't cut it. Only thing good about it is that it does what it is supposed to and holds the gun secure. It's an ugly one but will at least allow her to carry until a make a new one.

The picture is of the belt loop, it's held on with believe it's called a t-nut. Used them on the first holster I made, still wear it from time to time.

The edger I used gave it a straight cut not sure if that's how they're supposed to, but doesn't seem right to me. Took a bit of sanding to even start to round it. 

The stitching is something I'm still working on. Ill look into what you said though and practice with different SPI.

Gonna be placing an order for some Hermann oak and couple different tools when I get out of work today. 

I'm always looking to improve so I greatly appreciate the comments. I'll have to post another picture when I remake it. Hopefully didn't bounce around to much and answered the questions. 

0503162129.jpg