Brahmus

(Picture heavy)Some old tools, catalogs and patterns I picked up from craigslist

I don't know if this is the correct place to post this, so mods please move it if not.

I purchased a small lot of leather working tools, patterns and misc. off Craigslist last night and it turned out to be from an estate sale. Many of the receipts that were in the box were dated 1948/49. There was a lot of lightweight leather scraps (1' and 2' square), some buckles and hardware, lacing needles and thread. Originally the woman that this stuff belonged too had stamps and at least 1 swivel knife, but unfortunately those were not to be found. What she did have was a TON of patterns and tracings. I had to be careful unfolding the papers because the some of the tracing paper wanted to dissolve. I am a complete novice (working on my first project right now) but I hope to get to the level that I can use some of her templates that are cut out of cardboard so her craft can live on through me. 

The edge beveller has a maker's mark that I can't define, and I think the other item in the picture is a punch. The overstitch wheel and other tool photoed with it (not sure what the tool is) are both C.S. Osborne. The punch set was made by Bernard, the 2 nails photographed are hand made stamps that weren't taken with all of the factory made items. The purse panel and wallet back had begun to be tooled but never completed and I have a few wallet interiors (some in the original packaging).

The coolest items by far are the patterns, I have a bunch of patterns by "Steele of California", Doodle pages from Tandy, a few craftaids from Tandy (with a $1.00 price on them), and a lot of old fliers and catalogs, some of which the original owner had circled items in.

Sorry for the long post, and bad photos (cell phone camera) but I bought this lot for the tools that I saw in the ad, and found out that there was far better stuff inside. Now I need to work out a way to preserve the patterns and templates, especially those that were handmade by the original owner, so they don't degrade any further. If you want to tell me what any of this stuff is, that would be great.

bernard.jpg

bernard2.jpg

beveler_punch.jpg

beveler_punch2.jpg

catalogs.jpg

cs_unknown.jpg

cs_unknown_2.jpg

csosb.jpg

doodle_pages.jpg

floral_pattern.jpg

interiors.jpg

lacing.jpg

lock_stitch_awl.jpg

mallets.jpg

patterns.jpg

patterns2.jpg

punch1.jpg

punch2.jpg

skife.jpg

stamps.jpg

stamps2.jpg

steele1.jpg

steele2.jpg

tandy_flier.jpg

tandy_flier2.jpg

tooled.jpg

awls.jpg

Very cool, most of those tools look brand new. That edge for instance you dont see old ones like that looking that unbroken in.  Enjoy.

Thank you, I used the edge beveler for the first time last night to complete my first project. Was nice to know that I saved it from being tossed out. I had no idea what the creaser was, just figured that out this morning looking at the CS Osborne website. I still haven't even looked at half of the patterns that I have. 

I need to figure out a way to preserve them. I am afraid the heat from lamination may destroy some of them so if anybody is an archivist and can help me with some ideas please let me know.