Lneal

Molding a holster to a gun

Hello, I'm new to leather working and I'm making a holster for my 1911. I've made 5 so far that I'm not happy with, but getting better. The thing that's giving me the most trouble now is molding it to the gun. I've watched some you tubes on it and I think I understand the process, but can't seem to get the nice deep detail I see in other holsters. Here is a picture of the latest one. If anyone has some advice I would appreciate it. The leather is 8/9 oz. 

image.jpeg

Edited by Lneal
Picture was fuzzy

Got a bigger picture?  Can't see much in that one.

This is a good video showing how one maker forms his. How long are you soaking the leather? I typically soak mine for 7-10 seconds. If you soak it too long, the leather won't hold any definition. If you don't soak it long enough, it'll be difficult to form and will burnish too easily. I use a vacuum press for initial molding, then follow up with a bone folder and a couple other very basic tools.

Around a minute or so. I guess that's to long. Any chance I could re-soak this one and try again?

Tha's funny.  "i take a little extra care on the front".. as he's dropping cigarette ash in his lap.  Was he just doing that to see if we were watching?

And yes, if you haven't applied finish, you can re-wet it.

Usually I can tell from the color of the leather, but you have several colors going on there at the same time.

Edited by JLSleather

As long as you haven't sealed it, you can always dampen it again.

In case you're interested, I'm attaching some reference photos of holsters I've created from that pattern.

ALW-Avenger-370.jpg

ALW-Avenger-118.jpg

ALW-Avenger-127.jpg

ALW-Avenger-323.jpg

ALW-Avenger-325.jpg

49 minutes ago, particle said:

In case you're interested, I'm attaching some reference photos of holsters I've created from that pattern.

ALW-Avenger-370.jpg

ALW-Avenger-118.jpg

ALW-Avenger-127.jpg

ALW-Avenger-323.jpg

ALW-Avenger-325.jpg

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to do. I think I got this pattern from you. Looks very good

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

Tha's funny.  "i take a little extra care on the front".. as he's dropping cigarette ash in his lap.  Was he just doing that to see if we were watching?

And yes, if you haven't applied finish, you can re-wet it.

Usually I can tell from the color of the leather, but you have several colors going on there at the same time.

Yes dying is the next problem I was going to ask about. In that picture it was still wet thought