Gman84

Wanting to get started making custom chaps and belts

Looking for the material and tools to get started making belts and chaps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On 6/29/2016 at 1:40 AM, Gman84 said:

Looking for the material and tools to get started making belts and chaps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I found this site they have patterns and may have some of the info you are looking for.

http://www.cowcampsaddlery.com/apps/webstore/

Tandy sells a combination pattern pack for chaps and chinks which comes complete with rudimentary instructions.  You really can't do better for the money and you'll get some ideas of where you want to go with your craft.  Don't expect to make show-quality or museum quality items off the bat.  Pay close attention to your stitching lines, and don't be afraid to rip out a stitch line if you have to.  Buy a couple of belt blanks from Tandy to start with.  Then you can expand and will know whether to go thicker or thinner, broader or more narrow, depending on intended use.  Until you get comfortable, go to Tandy -- THEN start looking for other options.  DO NOT buy a whole array of tools that you don't need for starters!  Best if you can buy only what you think you need for the job at hand, since you don't have a deadline to meet.

I  bought the Tandy chaps pattern package a while back.  I was not impressed with it.  The instructions were limited and and the sizing was even more limited.  I was fortunate enough to have my own set of chaps to work from as a guide.  But the Tandy package won't be a whole lot of help for someone with limited experience.