Hello, downhere where I live I can only find alcohol based dye, colors are ok but I feel like the leather feels dry, I wonder if oil based dye would make the leather a bit soft and more confortable.

Has someone around here had the opportunity to try both kind of dyes that could give me his advice?

Are you talking about Fiebings Pro Oil dye? Because that is alcohol based too, not sure why they chose to call it oil dye. I have used both, and I prefer the oil dye. Better coverage and doesn't rub off near as bad.

Looking at the Fiebings website, they have updated some of their pictures with bottles that just say Pro Dye, so I am guessing they are getting away with calling it oil dye.

Other types of oil based dye, like those used in some wood working applications wouldn't be good for leather because they contain petroleum by products.

Edited by Colt W Knight

On 7/1/2016 at 8:59 PM, panchoskywalker said:

Hello, downhere where I live I can only find alcohol based dye, colors are ok but I feel like the leather feels dry, I wonder if oil based dye would make the leather a bit soft and more confortable.

Has someone around here had the opportunity to try both kind of dyes that could give me his advice?

It is normal to replace the oils in the leather after dying by applying Neetsfoot oil or some other conditioner. I use Neetsfoot oil most of the time and Feibings Aussie on projects that need perspiration or weather resistance.  There are other products and probably other ideas about how to condition leather but most leather workers I know do some kind of conditioning after the dying process. I normally apply a finish after the conditioner has migrated appropriately (for me 12-24 hours).

Edited by Chief31794
Finished too early wanted to add a thought.

Ok, I undetsand, I use a chilean local brand unknown for the rest of the world and it is alcohol based but I though that Fiebings Pro Oil dye was actually oiled based. Good to know because I was going to buy fiebeings on ebay just for that. 

I recently applied coconut oil on a brown dyed strap and result seems pretty good, I was thinking about doing the same on some other colors but they would get much darker, that's why I though about fiebings oil dye.

I will try to apply conditioner on the leather after the dye and before the sealing to see how it goes.

Thanks.

Applying conditoner/oil to leather will darkwn it some, but if its really getting a lot darker, I suspect you are applying too much. Most folks over oil, and it took me a long time to understand that you dont need a bunch of oil. You just need to apply a light coat and give it time to absorb all the way through the leather.