kikilamour

Industrial Singer 133k8 seizing up

It hasn't been used in about 2 years. I finally got it a new motor and started it yesterday but it got very very angry. It is definitely not the motor as it moves smoothly on its own. When I move the hand wheel it moves then stops short.

We have oiled it in the relevant holes and tried to get as much of the lint out without opening anything up. No one is keen on that to be honest. 

I have opened the bobbin case and the needle feed area and it is clean as a whistle and moving smoothly however the part around the head is gunky as hell. I mean thick slimy sludge so therein the problem lies. How on earth do I get to that bit?

Any tips?

Edited by kikilamour

The "head" normally ( on a "flat bed machine" ) refers to all of the sewing machine which is above ( on top of ) the table..and which tilts backwards ..Or, on a cylinder arm machine ( such as yours ) the entire part of the machine that you tilt back is "the head",the cylindrical shaped lower arm ( that does not tilt and is fixed to the table ) is "the cylinder arm"..So what do you mean by "the head" ( where it is "gunky" ) ?

Edited by mikesc

My crystal ball is all foggy this morning. I need pictures!

On Thursday, July 07, 2016 at 9:59 AM, mikesc said:

The "head" normally ( on a "flat bed machine" ) refers to all of the sewing machine which is above ( on top of ) the table..and which tilts backwards ..Or, on a cylinder arm machine ( such as yours ) the entire part of the machine that you tilt back is "the head",the cylindrical shaped lower arm ( that does not tilt and is fixed to the table ) is "the cylinder arm"..So what do you mean by "the head" ( where it is "gunky" ) ?

Sorry took a few photos of the top but it seems like my images are way too big too large to upload. I am on the tablet. I spoke to a vintage machine service man who suggested pouring lighter fluid internally and soaking the interior parts with the stuff. So this is what I am going to have to try tonight. The bit I referred to as gunky is the top opening by the handwheel where you can view the mechanisms from the top

The bottom shaft is driven by a geared shaft and there are caps over the hears themselves top and bottom.

Pull them off, bottom first and look at the grease. It can get so hard that it will jam up the gears.

Please do not swear at me too much when you put the top set back together

Darren is correct those grease covers on the corner gears can be hard to put back on...

Hi

It is all sorted now (said with bated breath)

I flooded it internally with paraffin as the grease was pretty heavy and I couldn't see how everything was moving. So just flooded it. Ignored it for a few days and then  tried to move the balance wheel -same

I gently tipped it on its side and looked underneath and reinspected the bobbin area. I moved the wheel with it on its side and it began spinning freely. The paraffin had obviously removed any sediment or hardened stuff that wasn't meant to be there and tippingit on it's side had dislodged something. Stood it back upright and working smoothly. All greased and oiled now.

Problem with all the tinkering is I messed with the stitch length adjuster a few times and now the stitches are tiny. Anyone know how that is sorted? I want larger stitches