splinters

Tapoff cutting

What's your favorite method for cutting out your tapoff patterns from the leather?

Thanks

I'm not sure if you mean to make them? or to cut the piece off of the hide?

I use a solid blade box cutter on sheet metal as a cutting base to cut them off of the hide.

The Chuck Smith swivel knife to cut the pattern. Cased properly the cut will remain very wide open.

Then I use spray can clear urethane to seal the surface (after it was dry from casing)

Rick

Thanks rickbobby for your reply.

I was referring to removing the pattern from the tooling  leather after you've carved the design.

Thanks too on the urethane to seal the tapoff.

I make quite a few Breast Collars for Team Ropers. Making a piece of leather for the Tap Off the same size as the Breast Collar worked best for my use. This way the ends where the piece folds over is marked as well.

Here is some tips for making them. Photos are from one I use for Breast Collars. They can be small for only a flower or leaf or large for a whole Stirrup Fender.

• The Name stays the same on every one. I left the end open for doing different tooling themes/patterns and the boarder has some open space for different tooling.
  • I'm not very "artsy" so I had to draw out my pattern then reverse it with transparent paper and re-draw it backwards on transfer material (frosted pattern material from Tandy).
  • I cased the piece that is going to be the Tap Off and traced the "Backwards" pattern on. 
  • When moisture was perfect for swivel knife I cut out the "reverse" pattern. (doing letters backwards was a challenge!) You always doubt what your doing!
  • After letting the new "Tap Off" dry completely I used Lacquer based clear to seal it (Wyo Sheen). After that dried I used a spray can of Urethane Clear and sprayed a couple light coats on. This seals the piece from moisture that may close the knife cuts.
  • After cutting out the Breast Collar, I case the leather that will be the final piece. While that is wet (pretty wet!) I lay the Tap Off on the piece to be tooled and using a smooth hammer "Tap" the pattern on the wet leather.
  • Using the "raised" lines as your swivel knife cutting then tool as usual.
  • The Tap Off's really help speed work time for repeating patterns that you use a lot.

IMG_2394.JPG

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0981.jpg

I appreciate you posting this for us, the tips and photos. Good looking work too. Spotted your shot bag and I have been thinking I need to make one or two of those and replace the 2 pound diving weight I've been using. :unsure: Thanks again rickybobby. Good stuff.