Acydtrip

Riveting snaps (copper/brass rivet with snap components)?

I've run into a few specific problems that I feel could be solved by swapping out the snap post/cap for a copper or brass rivet. Wondering if anyone has any experience with doing this...

I gave it a shot yesterday and the biggest problem, maybe why I haven't seen much info on it, is peening the rivet inside of the snap.  I'm off to the other half of my shop to make a right-sized setter set to try it out (worst case, I can reclaim the material and use it for another purpose).

Figured I'd ask in case someone has seen it/done it/knows of a reason NOT to do it.

Thanks for any thoughts or input!

Trip

What type of snaps are you talking about, do they have a trade name?

Yup, line 24 snaps as well as the pull the dot snaps (same size). I ran into an issue with the length of the back/post, which was both refreshing, as I usually trim them down, and frustrating, as I didn't really want to let the snap into the leather. I've got pounds of #9 and #12 rivets in 1" length (why buy shorter, yer cutting them anyway), and I figured that would be at least as tough as the thin tube that gets folded in to hold the snap; I have been wrong before, thus the posting...

The other situation I'm still on the fence about. I've talked to several folks who were all for the idea; basically, I'm not looking forward to lining every holster, the snap for the thumb break bothered me. I feel the need to line the strap to cover the back of the snap (which are steel) whereas using a copper rivet poses a softer material to come in contact with the slide, if there's any transfer, routine cleaning removes copper... granted this may not work for coated slides, but surely it'd be fine on the two stainless slides I carry daily, copper being soft enough to not damage the stainless. That and they can be set more firmly into the leather.

#9 fits just as well, being a similar diameter to the snap posts.  I spun up and heat treated some tools this afternoon, but a walk-in machining job came up and took the evening from me, so I didn't have time to take pics or test them yet.

Trip