Dan Miller

NOMD (new-old machine day) - hand cranked splitter

Received my new splitting machine today. I need to break it down, clean it up, lubricate and sharpen the knife.

I would appreciate anyone with knowledge of these things to help me identify the model (it was made by American in St. Louis). Also pointers to instructions or hints for operating would be most helpful.

Also, if possible, I plan to replace the upper feed wheel with one made of maple to avoid marring the show face of the leather.

Thanks!
Dan

P7250001.jpg

P7250002.jpg

Edited by Dan Miller

Ah, right you are. Live and learn.

Am I correct, though, in thinking I might be able to split 1/2" to 3/4" straps with it?

Thanks!
Dan

I am thinking a pull through will be more satisfactory,  I am sure you can sell the crank skiver and get a very good pull through  without much boot.  Those crank skivers are sought after by saddlemakers.   I have one but have never used it for splitting.   I think the adjusting for different thicknesses would be a time consuming ordeal.    I use a Heritage pull through and have had it for at least 18 years.  Does a good job.   I have a Dixon that is loaned out right now that does a good  job especially on lap skives. Heritage is good on laps as well.   I use a Landis 30 crank splitter a lot and have a Weaver crank splitter that I don't use much.   For straps, I prefer the pull through splitters but that is just me.   I have been thinking about selling the weaver crank splitter.  I bought the Weaver (8") for leveling cantle binders  and that is about all I have used it for.