Tinbender

Backstitching

Hey everyone, just looking for some tips to help on doing a backstitch. I am have an issue of the previous stitching getting frayed after I stitch back. I just put a fresh, well inspected, Organ needle in so I am pretty sure its not a burr on my needles. It happens with adhesive or without. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Generally, I find backstitching with a machine in leather doesn't work well. I just cut the tails long and then backstitch by hand with a saddle stitch for a couple sets.

My light-duty (Thompson Mini walking-foot) backstitches pretty well, but the most it can handle is two layers of suede.

Your needle might be too small for the thread you are using.  Try a larger needle and see if the the fraying goes away.

One thing about backstitching. If your machine doesn't put the needle in the exact same holes, all manner of ugly stitches can result, especially on the underside. My Cobra 4 has a longer backstitch than its forward stitch. For a long time I didn't know why my backstitches were so gnarled and protruding. 

I don't go to Michael's length to finish by hand. I'm lazy and I get better results using the machine to maintain its tension. I get my best results by backstitching without the machine's motor using the hand wheel and lifting the foot to position the needle to be spot-on the same holes created by the forward stitches.

Another option is what you'd have to do if your machine didn't have a reverse stitch. Lift the foot (while the needle is down, after the stitch is competed) and manually turn the workpiece around and forward stitch. That will put what are now the backstitches in those same holes.

Michelle

Edited by silverwingit

Thanks for the advice. It seems that as Michelle said, hitting the exact same hole was the issue.