Kyse

Backgrounding

I have spent hours with a backgrounding tool a114. I have tried watching videos and reading everything I can find. My issue is that everything I do leaves tool marks or ends up looking smashed down because I have to go over it so many times. Please help! 

Photo of your work would help.

Ferg

This is just one of many scraps that I have worked on. I have tried to dampen then let dry a bit and even tried the next day. I have tried different mallets, angles, how hard I strike. I just feel like I'm doing the same thing over and over expecting that practice will make perfect but it's been everyday for a week and it's like I just started.  

20160903_221410 (1) (768x1024).jpg

Edited by Kyse

So that's a pear backgrounder, right? I can see your frustration! 
Here's some things that might help:

1) small 'steps' of the tool-- at least 3/4 to 1/2 overlap
2) not too much pressure-- it's a shader,not a stamp.
3) realizing that it will take a couple of passes before the pattern becomes randomized. Go left to right, then right to left, trying to overlap just enough to slowly blend in the tool marks.

I don't use this tool very often, but the times I have used it, the above have helped. 
You have one line (just to the right and down a bit of the center of the photo), right along the edge of a "scale," with the shader vertical, which looks like a good start. 

Edited by DJole

That tool doesn't walk as well as a 101, 104, 105.  I tend to use the 114 for small corners of things, not whole areas that need backgrounded.

You've got the hang of it on some of your samples.  It's backgrounding . . . it should never look "perfect" . . . it should just push the things that aren't backgrounded to the front.  You don't have anything in the front on your practice piece, so it can't look that good.

Carve a flower, tool the flower, then background the stuff that isn't flower.  You'll be surprised how much better it looks.