USMCLoneWolf

Wet molding holsters

Hey yall,  

When I was wet molding my first official holster, i noticed that I was 'moving' the top coat of the leather and it started to wrinkle on me...

How wet or dry to i have to keep the leather when molding and boning(???)  the leather to form to the gun??  Are there any other trick to keep the leather from wrinkling at all??

Thanks!!!

What is or was the top coat?  I hope it was only dye on the top, I think most if not everyone dyes the leather then wet mold then when dry apply the top coat of clear, mop and glow or what every you choose to use.

6 minutes ago, OLDNSLOW said:

What is or was the top coat?  I hope it was only dye on the top, I think most if not everyone dyes the leather then wet mold then when dry apply the top coat of clear, mop and glow or what every you choose to use.

There was no top coat or dye at all.   It was natural hide.   Im still learning so it was the cheap stuff from Hobby Lobby. .http://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Leather-Crafting/Leather-Pieces/Natural-Leather-Tooling-Belly/p/142072

Nothing fancy at all...

That's belly leather probably ok to practice and learn with, some do use it for some things such as belt liner, but most wont use it for a top layer.  Being that it is belly it goes through the stretch and restrict action on the cow so now wonder it was moving around when wet molding.  Get yourself some inexpensive stuff from tandy and so over or expect to have the movement happen again when wet molding.

just sayun 

13 minutes ago, OLDNSLOW said:

That's belly leather probably ok to practice and learn with, some do use it for some things such as belt liner, but most wont use it for a top layer.  Being that it is belly it goes through the stretch and restrict action on the cow so now wonder it was moving around when wet molding.  Get yourself some inexpensive stuff from tandy and so over or expect to have the movement happen again when wet molding.

just sayun 

Thanks for the advice!!   Still super new to this whole leather working and really know nothing!!  I really appreciate the knowledge!!   I will make sure I expect that to happen again on my next few.  If you had to recommend a cheap but decent quality leather, what would you suggest??

Thanks!!

others I hope will chime in but I would look to tandy, you can go online and sign up for their email stuff or go into a store if one is close to you fins some small stuff.

I got some Hermann Oak you can have for about $9 / foot.  I can ship it, or next month I'll just drive up there with it (twin cities area) ;)

what he's offering there is not a bad deal ya otta be on that like stink of a stick, don't pass it up I was payun 14.00 a foot when in a spot and needed to get it.

well, no great "favor" really.. just not chargin' what some "retailers" (pronounced con-men-tractors) charge.  A-grade leather I order in backs (no belly leather) is about $9-something, comes to right around $10/ft after shipping.  

No matter one way or another.  If it helps a fella, I'll stick it in a box with a shipping label.  If it dont' help a fella, I'll stick it in a box and put it on the moving truck.. Either way ;)

5 hours ago, JLSleather said:

well, no great "favor" really.. just not chargin' what some "retailers" (pronounced con-men-tractors) charge.  A-grade leather I order in backs (no belly leather) is about $9-something, comes to right around $10/ft after shipping.  

No matter one way or another.  If it helps a fella, I'll stick it in a box with a shipping label.  If it dont' help a fella, I'll stick it in a box and put it on the moving truck.. Either way ;)

Ya I would be super interested in that!  Ill send you a message.

Thanks!

call the Hide House and ask for a bend.  If you want quality gear, use quality leather.  Stay away from cheap belly leather, no matter what the source.

Have you seen George Hurst's video on holster making?  Helped me a lot.