Hello all! My first official post here, so please go easy on me!

I've been reading up as much as I can here on the forums and elsewhere, but still have some questions as a new leatherworker! I am new to leatherworking, but have bootblacking experience and am familiar with leather overall. 

I recently got a pair of fantastic vintage Wesco boots, which are in incredible condition and have so much life still. They are a rich mahogany Redwood color with some darker staining and scuffs, so I'd love them to be a deeper chocolate brown. I'm unsure of which type of leather the boots are made of, but its a type of oil tanned I believe?

I purchased Fiebings Deglazer, Pro Oil in Dark Brown, and Bag Kote. I also have Obenaufs which is my go-to for conditioning/waterproofing my leather. I'm planning on spending ALOT of time, to paint around each white stitching, to avoid getting dye on the white stitches as much as possible.

From what I have researched here, the initial steps would be to:

1. Deglaze to remove finish and waxes.

2. Use Pro Oil dye over entire boot.

3. Buff off excess, and repeat dye/buffing until even coating.

--------------------------------------------

Now, I've read here that some people use neatsfoot between dye and finish, to help seal in oil. However, I like to regularly condition and treat my boots after wearing. Would Bag-Kote prevent later conditioning?

I've also read that some use Obenaufs/Sno-Seal as a finisher after dying. Is this enough to prevent oil transfer when wet or in contact with moisture? Or would Bag-Kote be a better lasting option?

Thank you for the help!  

IMG_20160915_140456532-picsay.jpg

Edited by Puppybutt

Honestly I dont think your gonna have much luck redying these guys. You could try and find a inconspicuous spot and see if it takes it or not but more then likely the dye will not absorb evenly. 

I wouldnt bother with bagkote unless you want too, Ive done many projects with just sno seal as the finish, it just requires reapplication from time to time. 

Take rubbing alcohol and apply it to a rag then rub the boots strongly. Try getting the leather a little wet, but not soaking. Wait until completely dry, then heat up boots with blow dryer, heat gun, stove top, oven etc... Then apply obenaufs. The heat melts it, allows it to soak in, and since you deglazed and removed some of the natural oils with the rubbing alcohol it will soak in well. This will darken the boots, may be splotchy at first but the more you apply the flatter the color and more protected your boots will be. This also insures dry feet! 

The current color is awesome, and has a wonderful patina.  The contrast stitching looks great as well.  I think if you tried to re-dye them you'd lose that, and might not be happy with the end result.  I like the clean em up, seal em and wear em approach, myself!  anyhow, my .02, for what its worth.

YinTx

Why rubbing alcohol? 

I would just use saddle soap if I was trying to clean them then the obenaufs or your choice. Seems much less harsh on the leather.