I am just starting to try gemstone inlay.  I know my buckle wasn't perfect.  After I added neat lac, however, it seeped into the back and dark-stained the front in a couple places on the edge.  I have it out in the sun, which seems to have helped a little.  Any other suggestions?  Chock it up to experience?   This was a gift and I'm sad about it.

2016-09-22 14.24.21.jpg

My suggestion would be to paint the entire edge a color thats darker than the stain...even black would look nice in between the gold edge and the gold looking lace pattern.

Is it possible to paint over neat lac?

I'm fairly certain that neat lac is not compatible with acrylic paint, but you may be able to use something else...a black dye for instance.  I don't use neat lac myself so I'm afraid I have no first hand experience for you.  I'm just throwing it out there for talking points until someone that's done it comes along.

I appreciate the response.

Just wanted to post an update after I took TonyRV2's advice and darkened the whole edge.  Not quite what I wanted, but at least it's not a debacle.  Thank you for the advice.

2016-10-09 13.44.34.jpg

Looks good and your welcome!  I've found that in making knives and knife sheaths that many times the process is one of continually fixing screwups.  Its all good though because sometimes the mistakes bring you somewhere that you may not have thought of going otherwise.  ;)

By the way, what did you wind up using to paint over the neat lac?

Sorry, I need to check on here more often.  I darkened the whole edge with acrylic paint, then filled the tiny gap between the leather and the metal buckle with many layers of neat lac.  I didn't like the gap -- it looked tacky.  The recipient thinks it's awesome, so I'm glad.  :)