Sign in to follow this  
ropescourseman

New Kid On The Block

Hi; my name is Jordan. I'm from Oklahoma, have been all my life.

My first introduction to leatherworking was when I was a little kid. My pastor then worked a lot with leather and always brought his tools to our youth group and let us do simple things and showed us how he worked. I would also go to the annual chuck wagon festival here and the first kids booth I would always go to was the leather working one. And, in Scouts, I got the leatherworking merit badge :D So, the interest and distant interaction has been there for quite a while.

This Christmas (2008) my parents got me a starting set of leatherworking tools (Marble slab, a few instruction books, a box kit with stamps, hammer, a few kit projects, and such). I was estatic. I've been working pretty much around the clock, making basic stuff like bookmarks, coasters, and using scraps to practice little designs. I've started a few of the projects too.

My first "real" project was a collar for my dog. It's pretty bad, and I can already see many of my mistakes, such as choppy background, and badly placed stamps and such, but I'm not too worked up about it, since it was my first project ever. I'm going to try and figure out how to attach a photo so you can see it in all its glory, ahem, I mean awfulness ;) .

Since then, I've done the small wallet kit, and now I've started the checkbook holder. It's very exciting and I've already skipped sleep a couple of nights working on leather :) I love it. I can't wait to learn a lot from everyone here, because I'm going to need the help.

Aside from that, about me...I'm 20 and l live in Oklahoma and go to college. I love the outdoors and work at a challenge course, as you may have guessed from my username. I'm not sure what I want to do with my life yet but it will likely be something with the outdoors, like outdoor education or maybe forestry. I love to backpack and ride horses.

As far as leatherwork plans go, I'm just working on learning the basics right now and practicing designs and such. My next basic projects I plan on are a belt and a cell phone holder that came with my box kit. Looking off in the distant future I'd really like to learn to make a saddle...someday.

Well, that's me. I can't wait to learn a lot from you all. I've already taken a look around and it looks awesome!

dog_collar_1.JPG

dog_collar_2.JPG

post-8326-1230817082_thumb.jpg

post-8326-1230817126_thumb.jpg

Edited by ropescourseman

Hi Jordan, and welcome to Leatherworker.net. We're glad you found our little corner of the internet. There's lots of members, both amateurs and professionals, who'll be happy to help with any questions you might have. Ask away, and enjoy one of the friendliest sites on the 'net.

Oh, and Happy New Year!

Edited by TwinOaks

hi jordon and welcome, your introduction was great and you are on your way to a lifetime addiction!!!

yes sir welcome and happy new year.

:welcome: Glad you're here! Looks like you are off to a great start, and you already know the part about having fun so you are all set!

Welcome!

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Thanks everybody.