Sign in to follow this  
pete

pigskin uses

I just got some 1.5oz "tooling" pigskin from a leather place today. It was kind of shocked as I had NO idea as to what to do with it. It was "titty pink" felt like shiny cardboard, etc. There was no way that I was going to waste time trying to tool it. Didn't know what to with it until I decided to make another checkbook. I didn't want to try to split the heck out of 6/oz for the pockets so I took the pigskin and glued it flesh to flesh. Perfect thickness.

Works great and a neat feel/look.

I was curious though- what do you folks use tooling pig skin or mission grain for? I bought some and tried to line a belt with it.

the stuff doesn't stretch (I knew that) but unless I sewed the belt, it buckled after straightening it to put the tongue though the buckle and I had glued the heck out of it.

Bo Riddle at Springfiled told me that lot's of customers like to line things with the Mission pig but do you all sew your pieces(unless it's a flat, non-bending project of course?)

PS- I FOLDED the pigskin and used the folded edge for the top of the pockets. Got a real nice burnished edge- much better than trying to burnish 2 edges glued together.

pete

Pete,

I know there are guys that can tool something as thin as 1-1/2 oz, but I am not one of them. I use it for lining and pockets like you did. I normally touch it lightly with oil and then use an acrylic finish to seal it. I also have a wee bit of X-1 left, and it makes a nice finish coat for insides.

I usually prefer the biscuit or wheat pig that TLF sells. One of my customers like the natural. Pretty sure it is a chrome tan, and I can use it as a back lining for checkbooks, wallets, and planners with no wrinkling. I ask for glazed pig when they have it, and they know what I mean. Sometimes they have had a nice copper color too. I haven't used that black or brown pig lining stuff for quite a while. The pig I get feels a little better to me than the mission grain. On the higher end albums and things I use vegtan goat to line with, a little more interesting texture than the commercial oak, more body than the lining pig. Again a little oil and acrylic finish to color and seal it.

I prefer to keep my pigskin on my pig. All my friends want to "borrow" him for lining or something, but the pig wants them to give him food to put in his lining. They just want to teach him to walk up a ramp to the BBQ. I have rude friends.

In pig years, I'd be a football.

Well you're gonna think I'm worse than rude. I just hung a boar a couple weekends back, He's in the freezer and his hide went to the yotes in the grasslands.

I'm with Bruce on the lineing. Not too much else I use it for. Good luck

Oynk oynk snarf snarf. GH :drum:

Oh no!!! I can't believe what I'm hearing! How barbaric! I won't be inviting YOU over any time soon!