firstcapitalfirearms

Scissors / Shears

I would like to know what brand and model of scissors / shears works best for cutting thick leather. I am looking at something that can cut with no difficulty leather greater than 10oz for holster, gun belts, sheaths etc. I know Tandy makes a pro series scissor but they told me it only cuts to 9oz. Any help, advice and opinions are greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Mark  

I got a Wiss 8" years ago. When I'm not using a round knife it's my go to for cutting heavier leather. Check out their current models. They are the best one's I have bought. I have several other lesser ones that I've gotten over the years but, they just don't work like these do.

That is asking alot of the scissors and also the hands of the cutter. Wiss makes some heavy duty scissors that will do the task. Expect to pay good money(50-100) for scissors made from good steel and up to the task you ask. Also expect to have to send them to someone to sharpen frequently if you are using them for hard leather. You may be able to get them sharp a few times at home, but scissors are special when sharpening is involved, and they are very easy to screw up.

Good luck getting a nice cut with scissors in material that thick. A knife is easier to keep razor sharp and easier to use. Actually a knife is the only way to go for anything over 8oz total if working by hand. There are a couple machines that will do it, but cost more. 

The style of machines they use for cutting out boot soles and the like will do it. Machines like the Landis model 20 . The fastest and neatest is to set yourself up clicker dies and a press.

Fiskars serrated Titanium will cut 10 oz and are only about $30. I lucked into a pair at a dollar store, but can't buy another pair here in Canada, not for sale here they told me . We're considered the a$$hole of the world here in Atlantic Canada, but readily available stateside.