hackish

Unsewing tool aka heavy duty seam ripper

I'm wondering what you guys use for seam ripping when sewing with ultra heavy thread T-350. I've killed a lot of the heavy duty seam rippers and working with nylon webbing I can't use a knife in the same way that I assume someone could with leather. The long point always snaps since the thread doesn't give very much. Part of the problem is the ultra-low quality of the tool. Paying more seems to just add accessories to the handle (rubber, cap, etc). I have several knives but working on certified webbing with a knife is a no-no. With a ripper I can at least verify that it's only the thread I've caught before cutting it. Is there a preferred brand for commercial use or should I just go get me some tool steel???

Depending on the style of tool, an edge beveler slipped between the layers works, you just run the stitches between the toes.

1 hour ago, TinkerTailor said:

edge beveler slipped between the layers

Good idea, Tinker.

CD in Oklahoma

A hook type blade in a utility knife might be worth a try:

carbon-hook-utility-blades-930.jpg

Or a safety carton cutter:

disposable-safety-film-cutter-dfc-r-0001

I like the idea of the bevel tool. Maybe I can find a cheap wood carving chisel and make a v-shaped cutter. The other issue is taking stitches off through the top when the seam can't be spread. I guess I'll just have to grab some tool steel and make one.

Edited by hackish
typo

8 hours ago, hackish said:

I like the idea of the bevel tool. Maybe I can find a cheap wood carving chisel and make a v-shaped cutter. The other issue is taking stitches off through the top when the seam can't be spread. I guess I'll just have to grab some tool steel and make one.

A slot screwdriver with a 20-25 degree bend half way up the shaft works great, use a chainsaw file or better, a chainsaw sharpening stone for a dremel to put a curved edge into the tip, with a safety tow on each side. Wrap sandpaper around file to sharpen. Takes 10 minutes. Go to a swap meet/pawn shop and buy 4-5 slot screwdrivers with trashed tips for pennies on the dollar. You buy 4 because 2 will break when you try to bend them