Tomex09

Help with type of thread used

Can anyone identify what kind of thread this is? New to leatherworking. 

The one I made I used white waxed linen thread and the final project came out nice but the threads are dirty looking. I want that white to pop out. Also the cord used to lace it up looks stretchable, anyone know where I can get some of this?

IMG_4726.JPG

Thread looks like standard bonded nylon or poly machine thread in white and around 207-277 size. It also look like it was machine sewn. You can hand sew with this size if you wax it.  As to the stretchy shock cord, look for it in tactical and outdoors stores.

if it's stretchy, check fabric stores as well. I got some 2.5mm at 99cents a yard that I use for FF radio and pager cases

Edited by Halitech

It is not easy to keep white thread looking clean & white hand sewing.

First your hands must be super clean. Then you pick up dirt, dye, & other things that soil the thread.

The longer the thread, the more dirty it looks.

I just started using White Tiger Thread. It stays the cleanest at of all the threads I've used.

It is a little pricey, so I tried a small tube to give it a try.

I purchased 40m/133 ft.1.2mm, $9.59from:    https://www.etsy.com/listing/244247926/tiger-thread-06mm-12mm-14mm-17mm-ritza?ref=hp_rv

Edited by craftsman827

On 11/3/2016 at 9:11 AM, Tomex09 said:

This is the one I just completed. 

IMG_4727.JPG

For being new to leather work, you did a nice job !  I know what you mean about white thread looking dirty. I posted what I purchased to solve the problem. Check it out. PS: I checked a lot of suppliers for tiger thread. & the one I listed is the best price !

Edited by craftsman827
spelling

Craftsman827 - I watched a video where the guy used this tiger thread, it was a while back and I couldn't find the video again and I couldn't remember the name of the thread. Definitely going to try this stuff out. What size did you get? It shows a 0.6 waxed white and a 1.2 waxed white.

If it was a snake...    Ok i see it now 1.2mm.   Thanks everyone for the input 

Was the original thread you tried pre-waxed linen thread? Was it "natural" color or "white"? 

So pre-waxed thread lots of times gets a dirty look just from the wax they use. Also some of them come in a white which is the standard bleached looking white and also in what they call natural which starts out as more of a straw color. 

Another thing is finishing your leather, make sure that is done before you stitch it and make sure it is thoroughly dried. If you finish it afterwards any dye that gets lifted when applying your finish will inevitably get on your thread.