Cocowawa

Pfaff sewing machine

Hello, how are Pfaff sewing machines  for sewing garment leather?  What would be a reliable Pfaff machine model, for vinyl or thinner leather?  I know they are popular for embroidery and quilting.

Thank you

Edited by Cocowawa

In the Pfaff universe you want to look for standard bearers Pfaff 145, 545, or 1245 for doing leather and upholstery. Those are successive generations of highly regarded triple (unison) feed industrial sewing machine design that will go places where domestic machines (including domestic Pfaffs) fear to tread. Original Pfaff parts can be expensive, but many aftermarket parts are available for reasonable prices. 

_1014850.JPG

Alternatively, you can occasionally find a nice vintage Pfaff 130 for cheap. The Pfaff 130 is a bottom-only feed (not quite industrial, but no plastic gears either) machine with zig-zag that will probably sew many garment leather tasks just fine.  Some people mount them in industrial tables with big motors and the machines live to tell the tale.

Pfaff%20130%20frt%20q%204.JPG

Thank you for answering my question about Pfaff.

I just bought a   Singer 211W155 that works like dream.  All I need now , is to get used to it!  It's the size of small elephant, pretty intimidating!

Any thoughts on this machine?  Thank you

They're generally considered a pretty good machine for leather, no reverse stitching but that's no big deal. If it doesn't have a servo motor my suggestion is to fit one, it will tame the beast and make it much more enjoyable to use. If you don't have a manual/parts list they're available for download if you google them.

On 11/26/2016 at 1:07 PM, Uwe said:

In the Pfaff universe you want to look for standard bearers Pfaff 145, 545, or 1245 for doing leather and upholstery. Those are successive generations of highly regarded triple (unison) feed industrial sewing machine design that will go places where domestic machines (including domestic Pfaffs) fear to tread. Original Pfaff parts can be expensive, but many aftermarket parts are available for reasonable prices. 

_1014850.JPG

Alternatively, you can occasionally find a nice vintage Pfaff 130 for cheap. The Pfaff 130 is a bottom-only feed (not quite industrial, but no plastic gears either) machine with zig-zag that will probably sew many garment leather tasks just fine.  Some people mount them in industrial tables with big motors and the machines live to tell the tale.

Pfaff%20130%20frt%20q%204.JPG

I was surprised to find plastic gears in my 230. The Pfaff 130, 230 or 360 type of sewing machines have two plastic gears one driving the hook and one at the zizgzag fork. I don’t think it matters that much because it doesn’t require much to turn the hook and make the needle from left to right. But those plastic gears get old and crack.  I do like the build in knee lift option and I think that makes a big difference sewing small pieced. 

The problem I found with domestic machines is that, they don’t feed as well and you have limited  choices of needles. If you don’t sew thick leather a sewing machine like Singer 20U with a servo motor would work