BESON

Tablet/Gadget Sleeve

I've made a couple tablet/ipad/iphone type sleeves before and always guessed a bit on the dimensions, hoping that the final product will be snug enough to keep something secure but without being too much of a struggle to get things in/out. Is there any sort of "formula" for figuring out how much to add in order to accommodate for the depth of the gadget? For instance, if I've got something that's 6 1/4" wide by 1/4" deep, I'd plan to add about 1/4" for a seam on either side. How much would I add to account for the depth? I've always made patterns until I get it right, but just wondered if there was a rule of thumb for something like this.

the ones I've made, I take the width, add the depth then add the thickness of the leather plus any lining. Also add whatever amount you plan on using for your stitching area. I usually line with felt that's about 3/16" thick so it gives a little extra forgiveness.

JLSleather has a directions on how to make a pattern for field notes and stuff. it gives a pretty good breakdown on adding for this and that. Works for a bunch of stuff I've tried.