myjtp

What's the best PINK/MAGENTA dye for blank veg tan leather?

I would like to dye some unfinished blank veg tan leather belt to MAGENTA or PINK.  What's the best dye to do that with? Whats the best way to finish and seal it? Any edge coat to match the dye as well?

Thanks!

veg-tan-strap-leather.jpg

Just now, Mattsbagger said:

Well when I tried Fiebings Oxblood it turned pink........ lol

got a pic of the piece? :)

Started with fluorescent pink acrylic, mixed in some dark red, a drop of black and finished it off by adding some white.

Watered it down to absorb and voila.

pink.JPG

10:1 water:oxblood will give you pink

I use oxblood for pink. the regular red dye also thins to pink at 50/50

12 hours ago, Mattsbagger said:

received_10202768319324390.jpeg

I was all prepared ta say Angelus dye, even on the edges, then finish edges with wax.  But a guy kaint say THAT aint pink!

myjtp, I am still pretty new to this but did you dilute the dye down?  bikermutt07 told me in a different thread that he usually cuts his dyes to 5 to 1 or 3 to 1, this allows for making more than one pass if you have to even the dye out across the surface.  

The thread was in the Member Gallery and titled Greetings from Colorado.  It's not my thread but that is where I asked him about dying.

Hope that helps!

1 hour ago, HavenHillJay said:

myjtp, I am still pretty new to this but did you dilute the dye down?  bikermutt07 told me in a different thread that he usually cuts his dyes to 5 to 1 or 3 to 1, this allows for making more than one pass if you have to even the dye out across the surface.  

The thread was in the Member Gallery and titled Greetings from Colorado.  It's not my thread but that is where I asked him about dying.

Hope that helps!

They are using Angelus dye. I don't know if you cut it like Fiebings. Inquiring minds (me) would like to know that.lol