flerg777

3-4 oz. bridle leather for a knife roll?

I have a customer who wants a custom knife roll, and I'm trying to find an American-made leather for it.  Would 3-4 oz. W&C English Bridle be alright?  I'm not sure if it's too thin, and I'm having trouble pulling the trigger on a hide, but I know that it's good leather, in general. I use 7-8 oz. for leashes and slings, but I don't have a splitter, and skiving such a size at my skill would look u.g.l.y.

That's pretty thin.  It will work (like commercial knife rolls), but will not stand out in terms of heft, durability, etc.  Over time it will form to the shape of the knives more than something with more thickness... which will make the outside look anything but smooth.

I suggest using a thicker leather and then a thinner leather (or fabric) for any pockets for the knives.  For example, 8 oz for the outside and 1 to 4 oz for the pockets.  This would be hefty.  A balance would be 6 oz with 1 to 2 ounce pockets (such as pigskin).  I often see suede used inside, as well.

The purpose for the difference in weights is so that the pockets conform to the knives but not the roll itself.  If you use equal weight inside and out, the roll and pockets will form to the knives equally... thus making the roll bulge.

Alternative: just use some floppy leather like suede inside and out.  It won't look stout but can be more compact.

Edited by johnv474

3 to 4 oz is pretty thin.  I bought a hide of it recently thinking it would be thicker than it was.  But I think 8 ounce would be too stiff for a roll.  If you got it to roll it would never lay flat again.  4 to 6 would be my suggestion. You also need to consider if you will do any tooling on it.  The 3/4 is really too thin for good impressions.

I made one recently, that I actually have not yet finished.  I used some thin goatskin I had on hand with a sueded pigskin liner.  That worked pretty well but it really is not as stiff as I would have liked.

Thank you both for the suggestions.  I am considering 3-4 for the inside, and 7-8 for the outside, since that is what I have in stock, but I am concerned about the roll being a bit too stiff to start.  I really appreciate your thoughtful responses.