Matt S

45k58 just arrived

Yesterday arrived my 45k58. Dates to mid 1961. The interesting bit is the treadle base, which I believe is the correct industrial treadle base rather than one for a domestic with a 45k shoehorned on the top, which I see fairly often.

As you can see she has sewn a lot of miles of seam -- the grey hammer paint has worn through to the black undercoat and even down to the bare metal in places. I'm tempted to strip it all down and repaint in black... Somewhen.

Unfortunately it seems to have taken a knock in transit -- the lube pot has disappeared with the stud sheared off in the hole. Luckily I have a spare of each which I can use... If I ever get the stump out. The upper tension disc assembly was bent but i think I've coaxed it back to life. The foot lift lever is missing half so while functional it is a bit of a struggle fighting the big leaf spring with only an inch of lever! More annoyingly the exposed end of the thread take up arm has snapped off, which seems to be a tricky part to locate so other than a good clean I can't really play with it much yet.

IMG_20161216_214420179.jpg

Very cool. Think your right about that treadle. Dont see any with a big wheel like that. Good luck on finding the right parts and getting stitching again. 

I have a foot lift lever and possibly a take up lever assembly.

Yes this is the correct treadle for the 45K, also the 7 class used the same.  If Darren has a take up lever then grab it.   Typically when untrained people ship machines they break these levers, bend tension units and  bend main shafts by shunting the flywheel.   I have repaired a few of these levers by grafting a handmade piece on the broken shaft, just have to guess the length.