So I have a chance to buy a Toyota J34 demin sewing machine. It shows that it is capable of sewing through several layers of what looks like upholstery leather.I make holsters, sheathes, and heavy duty dog collars. I typically use 4-8 oz leather for my projects. Would this machine be up to the task? I came to you guys first, since you all are a plethora of knowledge. Thanks in advance!

Never had that machine but it looks like a typical home sewing machine. Probably good for fixing your jeans/shirts and what not. 

People on ebay show old home singers stitching layers of upholstery leather and even vegtan but thats not what they are for. There is a big difference between several layers of denim and 8oz of leather, if your doing holsters your looking at usually two layers of 7-8oz. 

I would suggest saving your money and grab something that can handle not only the leather but the thread size you want to use. If your stitching belts and holsters you probably want atleast 207 thread capability and maybe even larger. 

Edited by MADMAX22

I agree with MM. From what I've read it's basically a "heavy duty" home sewing machine. One spec sheet listing what it could do, under leather said No. If you're serious about leather then get yourself a proper walking foot - and for holsters you need a decent machine! Definitely save your money on this one.

Thank you guys! My wife was wanting to buy it for me for christmas, but I told her to hold off until I asked in this forum. Yall saved us $400 lol. 

I dont know about saved, maybe redirected would be a better word. 

6 minutes ago, MADMAX22 said:

I dont know about saved, maybe redirected would be a better word. 

Temporarily saved lol. She's heard about the sewing machine for months, and Im saving to get a Cobra or a Cowboy. I just need to do a few more "artsy" business card holders. 

Just now, LeatherWorthy said:

Temporarily saved lol. She's heard about the sewing machine for months, and Im saving to get a Cobra or a Cowboy. I just need to do a few more "artsy" business card holders. 

Much better plan. GL.