A member on another forum referred another member to me. After years of dropping his tape and tearing his pockets, he wanted a leather tool pouch for a Stanley FatMax tape, a mini mag lite, and a carpenters pencil. I drew up an initial idea, scrapped it because it was way to big, and tried again. I came up with this- 5/6 oz leather back and tape cradle, 8 oz welt, 3/4 oz mag lite loop and pocket face. And, just in case he still had a case of the dropsies, I gave him a rotating strap to keep the tape from jumping out. Saddle tanned and oiled it with neatsfoot compound.

tool_pouch.jpg

nice work and that's the idea, provide better then what the customer expects. Only suggestion would be to round the corners at the top so they don't dig into his sides when moving around

@Halitech- That's a thought that sort of occurred to me too. I think I will do that in the morning, before I ship it off. Thanks!

glad to confirm what you were thinking ;)

@Halitech- I think the biggest reason, or reasons, I didn't do that, is that I don't have the nice rounded punches, and second, I'm likely to get carried away and screw the whole thing up. For instance, I thought about curving the sides in and reducing the width of the back. All that would likely accomplish is, making it too narrow. All it takes is one brain fart to ruin hours of work :)

then do yourself a favour and go to SLC and pick up these 3 punches

http://springfieldleather.com/Chisel-Curved-30mm

http://springfieldleather.com/Chisel-Curved-20mm

http://springfieldleather.com/Chisel-Curved-10mmOUT

$21.00 plus shipping for all 3 and they are well worth it. They aren't as pretty or polished as some tools but, they are sharp and will save you a ton of headaches when trying to get your corners rounded

I've been planning on it. I have a couple checks burning a hole in my pocket, but I'm also looking at getting some leather to start the wife's purse, business cards, and maybe even a logo stamp. But yeah, it is time to stop fooling around with hand cutting those curves.

The round punches, I've used so much they are almost a required tool for me now, don't delay too long

Check with Studio-N on getting your stamp made, he's a member here and is cheap on making custom stamps.

Business cards, check out vistaprint. I get all mine done there and they are cheap and relatively fast

the wife's purse, well, I don't have one of them any more so up to you where you want to put her as a priority lol

On the cards, I'm going to shop local printshops tomorrow. The curved punches, i looks like they are out of the 10mm, so I'll wait. The wife... well, it doesn't hurt to have an attaboy in the bank. Besides, if I can figure out how to do them conceal purses, I'll be covered up in orders. As for the stamp, I'll look into studio-n.

@Halitech- Looked at his website, but he is working with plastics, not brass. Can't use plastic for branding...

ok, wasn't sure what type of stamp you were looking for and I've bought from him so I know his work. I think he does do some metal work as well but not as much so he doesn't advertise it very well.

While he isn't local, I shot Arbalet a message. His work is absolutely amazing, and he is also a member.