bikermutt07

Need Help with decisions on rivets.....

Well Tandy has their new craftool pro hand press on sale for an actually reasonable price this month. I think it's 269.00 right now.

I'm not buying one.

However, all of their die press sets are on sale until the end of the month (I just got a palmgren press).

I have already bought the line 20 set for 89.00 yesterday. These are the size I think I will be using on my economy bracelets. Plus I have a big ole bag full of them someone was kind enough to mail me (gosh I love you guys).

So, here's my dilemma. All of the other press dies are just confusing to me. Different rivet sizes, double cap rivets, different size eyelets and different dies for each size, and even some sort of jeweled rivets/conchos and even more size dies.....

It's enough to make a man's head spin.

So far I think I have decided that I don't really need eyelets or jeweled dodads for my hobby.

But what rivets (style and size) are most people using?

I've seen some hammered copper rivets that look cool. I have also seen some strategically placed chrome and black rivets on some items.

So yes, I guess what I'm making will help the decision.....

Bracelets, wallets, collars, belts, sheaths, holsters, and the occasional bag.

Oh, and for now I can probably only buy 1 or 2 sets before the sale is over.

Help a fella out, thanks.

The triangle rivets are cool on bracelets. I have just don't a couple bags with the copper saddle rivets but I don't think you press them. Line 24 snaps are pretty popular I used on them on belt loops for iwb holster. Many color choices. They also have solid brass or copper double cap rivets as opposed to the Tandy ones. I'm part of the rambler club too.lol Matt.

1 hour ago, tnhomestead said:

Do the tandy dies fit that press? Seems like a great price if they do. 

The 3d stamps do I haven't tried the line 20 dies, but I assume they do.

Edited by bikermutt07
There is a small review i did on the press around here somewhere.

1 hour ago, Mattsbagger said:

The triangle rivets are cool on bracelets. I have just don't a couple bags with the copper saddle rivets but I don't think you press them. Line 24 snaps are pretty popular I used on them on belt loops for iwb holster. Many color choices. They also have solid brass or copper double cap rivets as opposed to the Tandy ones. I'm part of the rambler club too.lol Matt.

Ha! More confusion. Thanks, though.

3 hours ago, tnhomestead said:

Do the tandy dies fit that press? Seems like a great price if they do. 

Ok, the 3d stamp dies have a ball detent in them that hold them nice and secure.

The line 20 dies do not have a decent and the hole is slightly larger then the dies. So, a set screw may be needed.

While posting I just remembered I have a caliper. I will post sizes in a few minutes.

The Tandy press dies measure 3/8".

The double ball detent on the 3d Tandy press dies measure 7/16".

The hole on the .5 ton palmgren press is measuring 13/32".

So, the press will work. But for faster production I will need a set screw for the standard dies. It holds the 3d dies just fine.

And for what it's worth, the little magnet that is set in the ram hole is set too deep. It won't even hold the dies the press came with.

But, I'm happy enough.

Edited by bikermutt07