shug

viking axe sheath

hi,am making a viking axe and sheath for a friend into reenactment.i am stumped over the fastening used to secure sheath over axe head,i want to use a wood toggle but am unsure how to sew the retaining thong to sheath,any ideas please?

I used a leather toggle and loop to close a pouch. 
Maybe something like this? It's likely too light for a heavy thing like an axe. 

(In the first photo, the red bead is a slide toggle to tighten the pouch. It does NOT go through the loop!)

Pouch10.JPG

Here's the leather toggle and its accompanying loop. 
The loop is shaped like a greek Omega. There are two slits on the face of the pouch that the "feet" pass through to the inside, and the circular stitches mark where those "feet" are sewn to the pouch. 

Pouch11.JPG

Edited by DJole

thanks djole,its a small more decorative axe and will not need a strong fastening.i like what you have described.that is a beautiful piece with very delicate tooling.very nice indeed.thanks again.

This is an example based on a Haithabu find.

haithabu axe cover 1.jpg

haithabu axe cover 2.jpg

I tried looking for a picture of the leather covers I use for my Viking camp axe and Viking boat axe, but I couldn't find any, sorry.

Here's a drawing.  I can take some pictures of mine when I get home tonight if you wanna see them.

axe cover.png

sorry for not replying sooner,i like the drawing,i will try something along those lines,if you have managed any photos i would like to see them,thanks again

Talk about not replying sooner.  I can get you some pixs.  Still need them?

Here is an example of one on a throwing tomahawk.  I use the same style covers for my Viking boat ax and camp axe.

axecover1.jpg

axecover2.jpg