jkittle99

Pigskin lining - smooth or textured side?

I know this is a dumb question, but I'm going to ask it anyway... if I'm making a brifecase, bag, whatever, I hear a lot about lining it with pigskin, etc.   So my question is, do I want to line it smooth side out (facing the stuff inside the bag) or do I want the textured side? What's popular?  I kind of like the rough side since it's soft feeling..

I do holsters and put the smooth side out towards the gun.

In your case, I'm not sure if it really matters, when your gluing you may get a better adhesion with the rough side being glued to the existing leather.

All in all I think it comes down to personal preference whatever you like go with it.

Edited by Troy I

You want to the smooth/grain side always facing the interior of the compartments and the flesh side (the rough/suede feeling side) to be glued to you main leather.  The flesh side is much like suede and it will hold all of the oils and dirt that get into the bag/onto the leather and eventually will become very dirty and not look good at all.  This rule applies to anytime that you use pigskin lining.  Typically, most people will use one of the Mission Grain type lining leathers as they have a smoothed flesh side and a textured grain side that will not hold dirt and oils.