mixmkr

Apex Tuffmaster??

Model TU-36R....30" long arm.  Anyone know about this machine?  Picture doesn't do much... local Craig's list for $650

00909_KYXyUYC3kH_600x450.jpg

Never heard of Apex Tuffmaster before, but it sure looks just like an Adler 220 to me. Casting details are very close to mine, which is less complete and not quite as pretty right now. Perhaps a copy or a importer re-badge job just like Chandler's re-badge of the Adler 67. Might be worth checking out in person. Those machines are wicked heavy and awkward to move - I can barely lift one end of it myself. Don't just plop the head on the concrete floor either - the front end will be resting on fragile hook bits instead of sturdy frame casting parts.) 

IMG_7327.JPG

I sew large projects sometimes and the larger underarm area could make things easier for sure.  What can you tell me about the Adler?  Looks like a walking foot which is a must.   I need 138 thread too.  Doing sails and marine canvas.  3/8" would be OK..    So...it could do what my ole LU562 could do?

Here's the spec sheet for the Adler 220: Leaflet_Adler_class_220 (1).pdf

It should have better specs than the Juki 562 all around. HUGE bobbins. Very desirable and capable machines in my mind.

If that CL machine works, it's a steal at $650.

Edited by Uwe

That's what I thought.   Has some Consew 226 for $400 too.  But none have reverse.  Where is the reverse on this...or would you think not on this one too?

The Adler 220 machines do have reverse, just via foot pedal instead of hand lever (note the three pedals; foot lift, speed, reverse)

thanks.  it's still a 4 hour drive at least, but it sure peaks the interest.  Worth a call probably for sure.

That's a beast of a machine, it would be nice having and though a new table area assigned, you could fit some material under that arm.

I am curious, so can someone give some info on what the bobbin size on that.

Setup correctly I can see using that for everything really, once the needle is started on big jobs one can move over and put the pedal to the medal and just guide a 50' roll of canvas, and that's no small task. This will take up some room like 5' table I would guess at least.

If your a southpaw all the better I say

keep us posted on decisions 

Floyd

Here's a quick visual comparison of bobbin sizes:

Bobbin Sizes.jpg

16 hours ago, Uwe said:

Never heard of Apex Tuffmaster before, but it sure looks just like an Adler 220 to me. Casting details are very close to mine, which is less complete and not quite as pretty right now. Perhaps a copy or a importer re-badge job just like Chandler's re-badge of the Adler 67. Might be worth checking out in person. Those machines are wicked heavy and awkward to move - I can barely lift one end of it myself. Don't just plop the head on the concrete floor either - the front end will be resting on fragile hook bits instead of sturdy frame casting parts.) 

IMG_7327.JPG

Uwe --- How many darn machines do you have for cryin-out-loud? HAHA

On 2/13/2017 at 0:43 AM, mixmkr said:

That's what I thought.   Has some Consew 226 for $400 too.  But none have reverse.  Where is the reverse on this...or would you think not on this one too?

Consew 226 has three frames over the years, and some were tagged as a model 226, or 226R, and newer 226R-1.  226R-2 is I think where they left off.  Consew 226, by model number ALWAYS had reverse, or it would then be a Consew 225.  

The reverse is going to be seen with a push down lever across the front bottom arm of the machine, with a least a silver shaft protruding from the side of the machine, below the handwheel in case the lever is missing here.  Hope this helps.  Quick Google search of images for Consew 226 will show this.

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing