JimTimber

Timber isn't really my name

I go by Jim Timber because I love spending time in my woods.  We were fortunate enough to be able to purchase the land across the street from my In-law's family cabin 6 years ago and it's our goal to build a new shop and home deep in the woods while keeping the cabin on the lake. So far I've been busy building a 1/4 mile long driveway, 1/8 acre pond (it'll get bigger someday), and trying to keep up with all the bills having two places incur. We're under contract for a timber harvest that I hope will happen next fall since this winter didn't cooperate on many fronts.  Until then, I'll still be plugging away at making a hole for the new homestead.

I'm a small business owner, inventor of sorts, and what most would categorize as a fabricator/machinist (I do have a degree in machining).  I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty. B)

I'm very new to heavy duty sewing, and have only worked with leather a few times over the years.  Hopefully I can contribute in other ways to give back for your patience and knowledge as I absorb and learn from y'all.

Added a servo to the Singer tonight and it's much better, but I'm going deeper and building a reduction drive for it.  Just ordered up the parts from Surplus Center and look forward to those showing up sometime next week.

This is the bearing I'll be using for my reduction jack shaft:   1.5++BEARING+WITH+0.75++SHAFT_S.jpg

I just need to make a mount for it that integrates the servo motor and attaches it to the servo motor's current mount and it'll be ready to go.  Should be a piece of cake!

Servo motor made all the difference!

20170220_152351.jpg

I've got another one that looks just like it too.  As I progress, I'll take more pics.  These are becoming a shotshell box holder (stick full boxes in the pouch).

This feels like an introductory post, so welcome to the forum.  Looks like you are up to some really cool things.  With your machining abilities, I'm sure you will make some really awesome tools to aid in your leather work.

Thanks!

I'm pretty excited to get the speed reducer going in the next few days.  The servo motor runs about a stitch a second at the slowest now, and should be dropped down to a stitch every 3 seconds like some of the other members have mentioned theirs do.  Being able to crawl and then run (with the top speed on the servo bumped up) will really make this old Singer a joy to work with.

Welcome aboard, Jim.

Thanks!

After getting one side done, I discovered something - 2 is going to be heavy.  lol   I'm going to make this one into a pouch for hunting and will revise the pieces I have cut for the other one into a more traditional hull bag with ammo pouch.

20170220_201331.jpg