Wossname

Cosplayer from Florida

Hello! I've lurked for quite a while, and finally have more time to be active here. :)

I've been a classical oboist, graphic designer, and web developer for over 18 years and have decided to add leatherworking to my list of trades. Been at it for 2.5 years now.

Much of what I make are small fandom-inspired items for comic/anime conventions. Keychains, wallets, patches, etc. My partner and I also cosplay and work on commission for people who want full costumes, or just a piece or two. I also am starting a line of leather goods for fellow costumers - useful accessories, etc.

Here is my Year 1 lot:

tumblr_nujgimb8lC1saapdjo1_1280.thumb.jpg.0cfb69cc38bc31dd94daf3b1217f24b2.jpg

The weirdest thing I have made so far is that mask. I decided a weekend before a convention that I'd be the "Doof Warrior" from Mad Max:Fury Road. It was a quick build, and it shows, but I had a lot of fun:

11953233_954582727931797_8911959740314473695_n.thumb.jpg.33166cc9d2637d01fb942bdb17b90e9f.jpg

Here's my partner and myself as Schmendrick the Magician and Molly Grue from The Last Unicorn (I made the bag I'm holding, my partner did everything else):

12063691_951779838228479_6576745380998460893_n.jpg.656fbf1bc63e3a25d72bc3e23fa97a55.jpg

And here is my partner as a gladiator-inspired Wonder Woman (I made the cuirass. This was our first collab and we already plan to redo it, ha ha. The manica was literally made in the hotel room, boy was it rushed.)

14142002_1178975852159149_1022662827083470737_n.thumb.jpg.d785245f916dde8d69e528833dc5b17e.jpg

I'm on the right as Sam Vimes from the Discworld book series. The leathers there were made by a friend, as they pre-dated when I picked up this hobby. I hope to make a few dragons as props soon. And also expand to sewing garments, can't let my partner have all the fun there.

Because of the nature of our own cosplays and those from clients, the types of things I make vary constantly. I am always checking craigslist and other forums to find supplies for cheap. I have scored some amazing deals and might end up listing some of my excess stash in the future. (It's hard to part with stuff, though, because you literally don't know if your next commission will need that weird piece of leather that's been in the back of the studio closet for 2 years.)

It's all very fun and I'm grateful for the information I've gleaned from these boards. :) 
And if anyone needs a web developer for their online store or whatever, please drop me a line! I'm always open to partial trades.

Very cool stuff!!! Wish we were closer; I'm in Chicago. You might want to connect with Fetlife.com, there are a TON of cosplay peeps there and it may be a source of business. 

Fantastic stuff. Welcome aboard.

Ha! Loved that movie as a kid and I still read Pratchett!  Nice stuff. Welcome aboard