TomG

Consew 227R help

I need some advise on a problem I've developed.

I was sewing the edges of some hand hold straps and things sort of went to hell all of a sudden.

These are 6oz, folded in half to form a loop and then the opposite end folded back through a snap swivel, and sewn down.  That's 3 layers.  Those ends are skived down to about 4oz.. may a bit less. 

The stitch length suddenly started getting short at the thick end.  Then, the needle began hitting something under the strap.  I found the tip was getting dinged.  If I took the strap out and ran the machine without thread, no hitting.  

Looking at the hook and needle, it looks like in have almost no clearance between the hook and needle.  It I put the strap in place and move the needle down with the handwheel, the hook catches in the eye of the needle.

I've tried new needles. Usually 138 thread, size 22 needles.

Any ideas how I can fix this?

Thanks

2017-02-24 18.18.48.jpg

11 hours ago, TomG said:

the hook catches in the eye of the needle.

The hook should be going above the eye and into the hollowed out section above the eye. This if it is as you say would indicate your timing is out.

That's what I'm thinkin

But I'm trying to figure out why it got out. This machine is only about T months old and has only infrequent use so far... about 125 of these straps and some.lighter weight stuff.

Guess i'll have to do some searching for the procedure to adjust it.