Sign in to follow this  
craftsman827

Flesh not tight

I just purchased a side of, English Bridle leather.

The flesh side of the side is not "tight".. Don't know if I'm using the right term

to describe it. It's a bit nappy. It's black, I make dog collars & leads, harnesses with the bridle leather.

When I line the collars it's no problem, but I don't line the leads (leash), so it don't look good enough 

I take pride in my work. I used some , leather balm with atom wax, & it helped , but it shouldn't be like this.

I've always gotten nice leather from W&C, not this time.

I want to bring it to the attention of the company I purchased it from, I want to use the correct term 

to describe the problem.  Could someone let me know the term I'm looking for.

Thank you for your help.

What you are describing is flanky leather, and it is quite common, especially when you get to the ends and/or belly areas of the hide. What you need to do is skive off a bit until you get down to good, solid flesh. If you have a splitter, it is always good to buy your leather a little heavier than needed,then split it down to the desired weight (thickness). That way you always have solid material to work with. Hope this helps.

Just call them -- the folks at W/C will understand what you mean if you just tell them what you said here.  And you should be able to email them a pic if that helps (I've done that to get a color I wanted).

All good responses. Know your leather. If you were paying for #1 backs, you would have the right to expect "ssmooth" flesh sides, if Tannery Run sides then you would expect to find some flanky spots

On 3/2/2017 at 0:44 PM, VMTinajero said:

What you are describing is flanky leather, and it is quite common, especially when you get to the ends and/or belly areas of the hide. What you need to do is skive off a bit until you get down to good, solid flesh. If you have a splitter, it is always good to buy your leather a little heavier than needed,then split it down to the desired weight (thickness). That way you always have solid material to work with. Hope this helps.

Thank you all . That's what I was looking for, " flanky " !

Edited by craftsman827

On 3/2/2017 at 0:44 PM, VMTinajero said:

Thank You VMT .  That is the term I was looking for, flanky.