xlr8tn

Splitter Brand

What kind of splitter is this called?  I feel like in order to make any small leather goods like wallets, this is almost essential.  Smallest leather weight I have found is 3 oz which is approx 1.5mm.  But in order to get consistent thickness and folded edges, manually won't work too well.  Especially trying to pull thin leather thru splitter by hand.  Anyone have specific splitter brands that perform list this one?

Thanks,

Brent

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 8.34.05 PM.png

I don't know what splitter this is, sorry.

But I can tell you that you can split leather down pretty thin. The trick is starting out with a thicker leather.

I have split 8 ounce veg tan down to 2 ounces with good success.

This bracelet is two layers of 2 ounce laminated together to make a 4 ounce bracelet.1-1632x918.thumb.jpg.33aeddabee03cee528adf86e3734ffb6.jpg

Cheers.

From the picture and what I can see, it looks to be a band knife splitter. If you want some sticker shock just price one. They can be really handy for splitting softer leather, wider leather, etc but they aren't on every street corner. If they run and are priced right usually somebody has already picked them up. Once in a while they do show up though.

8 hours ago, xlr8tn said:

What kind of splitter is this called?  I feel like in order to make any small leather goods like wallets, this is almost essential.  Smallest leather weight I have found is 3 oz which is approx 1.5mm.  But in order to get consistent thickness and folded edges, manually won't work too well.  Especially trying to pull thin leather thru splitter by hand.  Anyone have specific splitter brands that perform list this one?

Thanks,

Brent

I believe this is a Fortuna model UA which I think handles as wide as 12". It is very similar in design to a Comoga that I have. For small leather goods they are a true asset but a bell skiver if you don't have one already would be first on my list. With a good roller foot you can do good splitting be that it may need several passes for wide pieces.. Beveling the edges and cutting in furrow lines etc are not so easily done with a splitter compared with a bell skiver. I expect to post some details and possibly a video on this application within the next 2 weeks.