OldNews

Waldorf 811

Through a trade I recently acquired a Waldorf 811. I've never used or heard of one before. Does anyone know if they work decent for light leather. I'm wondering if it would be a machine for sewing chinks or rodeo chaps. Thanks for the help!

2 hours ago, OldNews said:

Through a trade I recently acquired a Waldorf 811. I've never used or heard of one before. Does anyone know if they work decent for light leather. I'm wondering if it would be a machine for sewing chinks or rodeo chaps. Thanks for the help!

A photo would provide a lot of help with identifying what this machine might be based on.  Front, rear, left end, close up of the needle and presser feet and feed dogs, right end, badges, numbers, underside, bobbin.

Tom

Thanks Tom. I don't have the machine in hand yet. I'll try to post the only picture I have. It's definitely not a harness stitcher, but it may work for light things. I don't really have anything into it, so if nothing else I have an interesting table to collect clutter! 

image.jpeg

Edited by OldNews

That's a clone of a Singer Model 27 or 28 treadle machine, but with a different stitch length adjuster than the Singer. The long throat plate covers suggest that it uses a bullet shaped shuttle with an elongated cylindrical bobbin. These machines are from the turn of the 20th Century and, unless well maintained and fully equipped, are best used a conversation pieces. Parts would only be available if old scavenged Singer parts fit it. Otherwise, they are made of Unobtanium.

If the machine actually turns freely, moving all of the take-up cranks and levers and picks up the bobbin thread and has needles that fit it in time with the shuttle, it might sew with up to #69 bonded nylon thread. This is based on the last Singer 27 I refurbished and sold. It was from 1902 and sewed well into 8 ounces of bridle leather. I imagine that you could sew chaps with 11 pound test #69 bonded thread if you sew twice into the stitch holes, giving it the strength of #138, which is the normal size thread for serious chaps. It would be better used to sew wallet interiors, pants and dresses.

Thank you Wizcrafts! It sounds like this machine is not really for me. I had never heard of this brand, so I was inclined to take the deal just to get a look at one. I'll get it home and clean it up, and probably try and re-sell it. Thanks again for the help!