ContactCement

Has anyone made a weighted hdpe milk carton mallet or maul?

Edited by ContactCement

It's definitely doable and HDPE is fairly simple to work with. Although I choose Delrin. For this application you wouldn't have to worry about inclusions in your melt at least not as much as if it were something more structural such as take for instance a slingshot frame. Watching the video if you're going to go through that much trouble you need to ensure that you get a good melt all the way through because if you don't it will Splinter apart also instead of trying to press it into a square mold like he has or why not press it into something round like say a section of copper pipe with a cap silver soldered on one end and another cap to do your pressing on the top the reason why I say copper is because copper will heat up much better and you can put it in the oven and continually fill it as the Melt is happening also you could monitor it to make sure you do not get any of the inclusions that I was telling you about. And actually for the cost of the copper pipe you could probably just save yourself the trouble and by a mallet already made LOL! Maybe some black Iron 2-inch ID you would definitely get a better press out of that anyway cuz she could add more Force to it

Edited by Sanch

I havent made one but, I'd buy one based on all the other criteria for a maul. properly shaped handle and a balanced head. Then i would hope that someone that would make one would try to make it as an artform itself. maybe a marbled head and a curly cherry handle. well dang that dont sound too bad!