jetblackstar

Fiebings suede dye vs Pro dye

So I've just bought some pig suede for lining various veg tan leather projects (Card wallets, knife sheath, pencil case, etc)

I've bought undyed natural because what colour I need will vary. 

I note the lil "do not use on suede" notice on both Fiebings Pro and EcoFlo leather dyes. As well that both companies do separate suede dyes. 

What actually happens? Do I genuinely need to restock with all suede dyes as well. I'd only just started to get over my addiction to buying my tooling leather dyes. 

Can I "make do" with the oil dyes for now or is it disastrous. 

Many thanks in advance. 

Not sure about using Fiebings on suede, but you might look into Angelus Suede dyes, made just for that I think.

YinTx

Ahh yes, I've seen Angelus dyes but don't own any yet. I think there similar aren't they? that they have suede dyes and non suede dyes?

I was eyeing up the baby pink colour for something I wanted to make my GF.

I'd just really like to know what is so different in how they work. The best my leather supplier could suggest was that suede is more porous. Which makes sense but doesn't explain the warning not to use normal dyes written on the bottle.  

Thanks I will look into Angelus dyes. 

It being more porous it will soak in more making it dark and stiff and dry out the leather. Just about everything suede has it's own conditioner ,cleaner and so on.

Thanks matsbagger. that makes sense why it works on the flesh side (suede like) of tooling leather as you often want to slick that down so the side effect is desired.

My leather supplier came back with a good answer too. they said fiebings pro won't adhere as well to sued and was likely to rub off.

Which does mean muggins here has to buy a set of sued dyes for his new lining.

Boo

I have used the Tandy pro dye and fiebing on suede saddle seats it didn't really rub off but it does make the leather stiff . Was trying to dye a yellow seat black best I could get was dark gray which it looked nice that way  saddle was black . It just didn't have a feel  customer was happy though . Actually that's why I came on here too see if their were any better alternatives for dying a saddle seat  . I will give angelus a call