480volt

Osborne #147 drive punches

I'm looking to upgrade from the random collection of small round punches that I currently use and I'm leaning towards spending the long dollar on several new CSO #147 drive/saddler punches. I know there has been a long, slow decline in the quality of their products, but does anyone have actual, hands on experience with recent production examples of these? I know they will be dull as fence posts out of the box, what I really care about is the metallurgy and overall quality. I can deal with putting on an edge.

I'd talk to Bruce Johnson and see what he has in the shop. I have a full set of the vintage #147 and they are better than any of the new ones for sure

I agree, the old ones are probably at least more consistent on finish. These are straight from CSO, just delivered April of 2017. I'd say the taper is ground well and dead concentric, the cutting edge and bore could use refinement. Several of the tools have carbon-like deposits inside the bore maybe from quench oil. What is surprising is the random look of the blanks they started with, almost as if shape and finish were left up to whoever was on the grinder that day. #0 had the slot enlarged with an end mill. #8 had the top ground flat. #4 is really the odd one out, as on the others, the flash from closed-die forging is still evident. On #4 the parting line is ground completely off and all surfaces are radiused, and the finish looks tumbled. Tool looks cast, except that the finish inside the slot looks identical to the others. The CSO stamp is also different. CSO claims that all metalwork is done in-house, I wonder if #4 is supplied by an outside vendor. 

I'll approach Bruce or maybe Bob Douglas about any other sizes I want.

For the money, Weaver Master tools punches are MUCH nicer. Very polished, sharp, and durable.  Won't waste my time and money on CSO any longer.

I will echo Keplerts, those Weaver master tool punches are not bad. It's not easy to find good new punches anymore. And the new CSO ones are not near the quality of the old ones was. There might be something old stock in good shape too, check with moderator Bruce Johnson he sell nice old ones in good condition.

Tor

Hi everyone, 

If you are interested in "new old stock" Osborne punches, try Red Dot Tool Co. in San Antonio, Tx.. I work down the street from the business and the owner is super cool. He buys huge lots of tools and goes through them and lists them on eBay. I have a whole set of punches from him and quite a few of specialty type tools. I have never had an issue with any of them. The majority of the punches he has still have the factory wax dip on the cutting edge. Here is a link to his eBay store.http://stores.ebay.com/reddottool/Punch-Chisel-/_i.html?_fsub=5343489016&_sid=1146501856&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322 Don't be afraid to ask for a specific size, I know he has more than whats listed. He even has some over 1"....

Hope this helps some of ya'll, Ben

Edited by Tinbender